Why did my downhill driveway kill my car?

Trevor M.

Sep 4, 2020
California
So I parked my 2002 GT backwards in my driveway for the first time ever which caused it to point nose down. When I hoped in an hour later tragedy. She started up really rough like the engine was bogged down then she only drove 1/4 mile through the neighborhood and died. Already checked plugs and MAF what else could be the issue?

• Sponsors (?)

My vote. You have water or some other trash in your gas tank. Parking down hill caused the water to collect near the fuel pump pick up. Obviously the motor will not run well on water instead of gas.

Check the filler neck for signs of rust through. Check the filler neck gas tank grommet for signs of rot. Fuel vapors are very hard on rubber parts.

Or this just maybe a sign that the fuel pump is going out. After setting on level ground, did it re-start and run OK?

Consider treating your gas tank with a product to remove water.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
That’s an interesting theory worth trying.

The most cost effective way to buy a water in fuel treatment is premixed at the station. Unless the tank is nearly full, a top off with E-10 or E-15 will have more alcohol than a bottle of Heet, and it will cost less than non alcohol fuel. A gallon (no more unless it is a flex fuel set up) of E-85 would be good in a nearly full tank if water is the issue.
Sales of the fuel antifreeze products dropped with increases in ethanol mix fuel. A big rainstorm might lead to some water in the station’s tanks, but if there has been a flood lately, the OP would know about it.

My vote. You have water in your gas tank. Parking down hill caused the water to collect near the fuel pump pick up. Obviously the motor will not run well on water instead of gas.

Check the filler neck for signs of rust through. Check the filler neck gas tank grommet for signs of rot. Fuel vapors are very hard on rubber parts.

Or this just maybe a sign that the fuel pump is going out. After setting on level ground, did it re-start and run OK?

Baffle is near the center of the tank. The angle shouldn’t have any bearing on Water bring drawn in. If anything parking level should be the best position to pull in water as the baffle is at the lowest point, centered on the pass side.

parking on an angke shouldn’t affect the car in anyway. It could be a total coincidence.

the driveway I parked my 2003 GT in at my previous home was a 30 degree slope. Everyday of the 5 years I had that car it was parked either nose up or nose down. Never had an issue

I vote for a fuel pump failure. Nothing to do with the parking angle.
If you can have someone (you trust) turn the key on while you bang on the bottom of the tank, we've done that several times at the shop to jar the pump to run long enough to get it into the shop and when we turn off the car the pump won't work again.
Anyone remember banging on the old GM starters to make them work? Same principle.

My vote. You have water in your gas tank. Parking down hill caused the water to collect near the fuel pump pick up. Obviously the motor will not run well on water instead of gas.

I vote for a fuel pump failure. Nothing to do with the parking angle.
If you can have someone (you trust) turn the key on while you bang on the bottom of the tank, we've done that several times at the shop to jar the pump to run long enough to get it into the shop and when we turn off the car the pump won't work again.
Anyone remember banging on the old GM starters to make them work? Same principle.
I have tried

Update,
After letting it sit with plugs and injectors removed for a day in 115 degrees and replacing the fuel filter the best I could get was a small stutter. Like only 2 cylinders were firing. I checked the gap on the spark plugs all set to .54. I am leaning towards fuel pump. I tried the ole bang on the tank but nothing changed. I was thinking maybe fuel was vapor locked because it showed a little improvement with the pressure relief valve on the manifold depressed. Looking for a code reader today. Someone mentioned maybe a cam shaft position sensor. Thoughts?

Yup. All that would show up in a scan.

Amazon sells cheap OBD2 dongles and you can download apps for your phone. Stick the dongle in your glovebox and you'll forever have a OBD reader with you at all times

• Winner