why did you buy s197 vs. cobra

mikez

Dec 17, 2004
whats up guys, i'm having a TERRIBLE time deciding on what car to get. A new GT or an 04 cobra.

Being that they are the same price why did you choose the GT over the cobra.

I'm in need of a new daily driver and have found both cars to be great at different things. The cobra is just a nasty car, tons of hp, heavy clutch, VERY dated interior, with a loose feel ie. not very tight.

The GT interior is AMAZING, very comfortable, light clutch, not as much of a head turner in stock form, good looks, but lacking on performance standpoints.

Point is i'm so confused about what car to get i'm ready to just get a focus and call it even:shrug:

ANY opinions would be GREATLY appreciated.
-mike

• Sponsors (?)

Pros of S197 over an 03 Cobra

Much better styling in my opinion, a hell of a lot more comfortable, better interior, warranty!!!! In my opinion, the only thing the 03/04 Cobras have going for them is what's under the hood.

Sure an S197 GT will be slower than a Termi but with some bolt-ons and good driving S197 GT's are quick :)

I had a 2001 Cobra for 6 years before I traded it in for the '07. The look, ride, and feel of the '07 is different

I realize you can't compare a 2001 to a 2003-04 but I felt it was a great car that had been piled up on a Ford Fairmount frame. In fact, that's what I nicknamed my Cobra. I really liked the Cobra but when I rented an '07 convertible I was hooked.

Oh, and I never showed any pics of my previous car.

cobra.jpg

Attachments

• cobra.jpg
    cobra.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 148
i couldnt wait any longer for a terminator, so i got the s197. if you want to make big power w/ less effort then get the cobra. if you want style and looks, and dont mind spending more money to compete w/ the cobra for the power, then get the s197. but the bottom line is always what kind of deal can you get.

i offered $35k on a mystic vert 04 when i bought my S197, they declined the offer. they ended up selling it for less money about a month later. sticker was nearly $50k.

I had an '03 Mach 1 before the '07 GT. I bought the Mach 1 brand new and chose it over the Terminator as I drag race and wanted the solid rear axle. Sure the Termi was a bit faster, but you can supercharge anything and I would have spent less money total supercharging the Mach 1 versus buying a Termi brand new. Never did supercharge the Mach 1, but did so to the '07 GT.

As much as I love the 03/04 Terminators, I wanted the more comfortable S197 and an automatic transmission this time around (makes for a super consistent bracket racer).

wanted the terminator. still want the terminator.

my car had really NO mileage on it
has a warranty
newer styling, i had a 94 mustang before this car, i didnt want to buy a car that i'm making payments on, and have the same interior as a 10 year old car.
wanted solid rear axle.
a terminator is most likely beat on, not everyone buys gts to beat the living piss out of them. if i had an SVT it would take more corners sideways then it should.

still would love a terminator. would like to find a 03-04 owner with low mileage wanting to trade i would be half tempted to do it. i might even do it. its just something about those cars. the motors are gorgeous, make a great sound, the cars look great on pretty much any rim. just have such good styling features for a platform that they've used since 1979 pretty much, just changed it around a little bit. love the hood, rear bumper, front bumper, side skirts fold in mirrors. all of the car look amazing there's not one feature i don't like.

these cars i don't like half the rims they offer for it. exhaust systems i can't find anything i really like. hate the fact you can see the mufflers in stock form. liked how they were placed on the sn95s.

one day i will own a terminator. now i'm really kicking myself, because they are going for alot cheaper 4 months ago when i bought my car. they were going for 28k for a low mileage one, and then getting a loan for a 2004 for that much is alot harder, then getting a little bit lower amount, for a brand new car.

love the 6 speed, love the looks, love the sound, love the power.

man i want a terminator.

I had a 2001 Cobra for 6 years before I traded it in for the '07. The look, ride, and feel of the '07 is different

I realize you can't compare a 2001 to a 2003-04 but I felt it was a great car that had been piled up on a Ford Fairmount frame. In fact, that's what I nicknamed my Cobra. I really liked the Cobra but when I rented an '07 convertible I was hooked.

Oh, and I never showed any pics of my previous car.

cobra.jpg

beautiful car. laser red?

2001 is a beautiful cobra. not too fond of the 99s.

when i was looking for a cobra, i didn't like the 99-01 front bumper, but now that i'm looking at it from a different perspective, i love it. i guess i didn't like the front bumper because it wasn't a terminator front bumper.

Attachments

• cobra.jpg
    cobra.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 357
[QUOTEbeautiful car. laser red?

2001 is a beautiful cobra. not too fond of the 99s.
when i was looking for a cobra, i didn't like the 99-01 front bumper, but now that i'm looking at it from a different perspective, i love it. i guess i didn't like the front bumper because it wasn't a terminator front bumper.

Yes, laser red. I wanted to keep it but no additional garage space. I offered it to my brothers and then a couple co-workers. There was one fellow I forgot about who would have bought it. :mad: So I traded it in for present car. It was really cherry; kept the window stickers, sales brochures, and stock parts that I took off.

cobraint1.jpg

cobraint2.jpg

Attachments

• cobraint1.jpg
    cobraint1.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 120
  • cobraint2.jpg
    cobraint2.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 124
why did you buy s197 vs. cobra?

I didn't.....

I had the choice, but went the other way. I bought my Cobra late 2004 just as the s197 was showing up. I was offered such a good deal, I just could not resist.

I like the s197 chassis and updated features, but I remain happy with my choice.

Cobra is uuuuggggllllyyy (IMO). I know the performance is there, but I just could bring myself to even consider it due to the looks.

Just my opinion of course, but I like the S197 100x more than the Terminator.

Cobra is uuuuggggllllyyy (IMO). I know the performance is there, but I just could bring myself to even consider it due to the looks.

Just my opinion of course, but I like the S197 100x more than the Terminator.

Ouch.........

I think I feel a little hurt ;)

I guess beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder as they say, fortunately for me I kind of think it looks nasty (the good nasty)

The Termi is nice but I had to have a new car. I've heard it's cheaper to build a fake Termi out of a sixer but never priced it. That would be a good way to go if you wanted a solid rear axle. IMO there's nothing wrong with a fake as long as you don't try to pass it off as the real thing when talking to people or especially when trying to sell.