Why did you decided to get a classic Mustang?

When I was growing up, my dad, who is a hard-core hot rodder, always had a lot of '60's car magazines around. I was constantly reading and re-reading them and was always attracted to the early fastbacks. Then around '74 I saw an ad for the Mustang II that featured a pic of a '65 Shelby Mustang, and talked about how history was repeating itself. Even at that young age (about 12) I knew that wasn't the case, but I started reading everything I could about Shelbys, Cobras and Mustangs. I got my first fastback when I was about 25, screwed up pretty much everything I touched on it and sold it. Then I got the urge (obsession might be more like it) to build a '67 Shelby clone ( as did about everyone else who saw "Gone in 60 Seconds") and eventually found the fastback I own today. This car is being built to drive (and drive and drive and drive) unlike my last one which never ran well, broke parts and got me in trouble with the law. :p

• Sponsors (?)

It is in my veins, my dad was a mechanic straight out of high school. He worked on anything from Fords, to Fiats. At one time he was the guy to see to get repairs on a Fiat. And my uncle had two chevelles, both 4 on the floor big blocks. I was born for this. Too bad I am as broke as a piece of glass in a dryer. It will come with time....

I definately wanted a muscle car for the sound and feeling. There is nothing more badass and cool sounding than an old V8. I think all classic muscle/pony cars have MUCH nicer body lines than just about anything out today. I ended up with a stang instead of a nova or camaro because I saw a guy driving a super clean black 66FB with a gear drive and huge tires on the back. From there on, I knew I wanted a stang. I couldn't find a fastback, but my coupe still grows on me more everyday, I actually like it better from some angles.

When I was looking for my first car back in 1990 I really wanted a classic mustang, preferrably a 67-68 fastback. I loved the way they looked and always had. My grandfather loved mustangs as well, since he had one when they were first released; however, he tried very hard to hide his excitement about a classic mustang with prudence and cautionary statements about trying to upkeep a 30 year old car. So, I ended up being a ricer <gasp, yes I know>.

Many years, and many cars later, I was in a position where I could buy a second car and had some leeway on what I could buy - so I went shopping for my dream - a classic mustang. I still wanted the 67-68 fastback, but prices had skyrocketed, so I settled on my second choice, a 69 coupe. :)

I've always loved the stangs since a child....rode home from the hospital after birth in the 71 hardtop. My dad's first car was that '71 hardtop...I had wanted a Ford Truck which I now possess but at first that was all i wanted...but I was at my redneck aunt/uncles and saw the forgotten 71 settin in the weeds....after some gas and jumping the battery she came back to life....after a 7 month restoration it was back better than new...I felt so high and mighty driving a piece of american iron it isnt even funny...hell I still do...and then came the '66...then the '85 GT.....then the '71 Grande...hopefully a '66 fastback's next.

when i was in jr high school, i read an article about the then new 1970 datsun 240z. i thought what a cool car it was. about 2 months later i read an article in rod and custom about them buying a 66 mustang fastback(289/4spd). in that article i read how they got it home, fixed the brakes so they could get a good baseline on the car, then buil the suspension, and chopped a second off their 1/4 miles times making it quicker than the 240z i had read about only 2 months earlier. i was hooked at that point. finally i got my dad to agree to trade in our 69 ford wagon for a 66 mustang hardtop(289/3spd) which i used for a number of years, traded it to a friend for transportation that i needed at the time, and eventually bought it back, and still have it to this day. it is torn apart right now, but with some luck i will get it back on the road again soon.

I beleive my doctor said it had to do with OCM Syndrome. Obsessive Classic Mustang Syndrome. My mother had hoped the beat-up '66 Hipo GT would cure it when I was 17. Sadly my disorder continues to this day. Fortunately I have learned to control the symptoms like the uncontrolable daydreaming, and that pesky twitching sensation you get when your stang's been off the road too long. Luckily my wife understands that it is vital for me to constantly monitor the performance and condition of the mustang in order to insure my own well being. Thanks goodness for modern medicine! :D

I've been into Mustangs since I was around 13 when my dad had a 90 GT. So at first I was into the late models. Around my 16th birthday my grandfather was working with a guy selling a Mustang so he could buy a Baja. I happened to have a Baja and was interested in getting a Mustang. So my grandfather and parents worked out the trade without me knowing. I went over to my grandparents house one day after school and there was a red fastback in his garage. So far that's been my first and only Stang.

I have many of the same reasons as above. I love cars and machinery in general, but classic muscle is what I grew up with. I've always been a Ford guy at heart, I think mostly because my dad is into Chevys.

My dad bought me my '70 vert in '88 or '89, and I doubt I will ever sell it. He came into some extra $$ and it was $2000. Pretty cheap. I think he felt a little guilty for convincing me to buy a '76 Cutlass as my first car in '84 I think it was. It was a decent car, but I never was emotional about it like I am about Mustangs. I've always had too many other financial commitments to justify putting much into my "toy", but I'm near the point of "just do it". Otherwise it will end up too far gone.

I like the idea of making it mine by changing whatever I feel like, and also learning how to do most of it myself. Tinkering is a lot of fun. Having a custom car designed and built by yourself earns some serious bragging rights IMO.

Hack said:
I like the idea of making it mine by changing whatever I feel like, and also learning how to do most of it myself. Tinkering is a lot of fun. Having a custom car designed and built by yourself earns some serious bragging rights IMO.

Agreed. Also..

Character. Style. :drool:

I grew up with old cars... the earliest ones I remember being the 2 '66 Mustang coupes my dad had... They have always been more interesting to me than the other cars... He still has one ,but I was lucky enough to get the other as a graduation present. It looked like crap but it ran. I made it how I wanted and now it looks much better. Of course, it's never finished, but that's the fun part.