Why do u guys think the 96-98 4.6's are a joke??

94Blackwidow

Dec 18, 2004
i just bought a 97 motor tranny rear with computer now ive been hearin that these things are a joke with out the pi heads and cams swap is this true where will i stand with just 410's and exhuast for now?

• Sponsors (?)

well if this might help. Whne I got my 98 5 speed(stock) it was faster than my friends 95 5speed with full bassani headers to exhaust, a hypertech chip, and k&n filtercharger. Before it was even broken in. So with 4:10 you will be ok. I have 3.73's and i am ok.

96-98's are a joke without the PI Intake at least. I own a 96 so I can say that stock they run low 15's high 14's, but 96-98's definetely are not a lost cause. Just slap that PI headswap on there, keep the compression up and go out and spank 99+ GT's all day long. You can make the car fast without doing the PI headswap but it will take alot more work. Do yourself a favor and either get the entire PI headswap or at least the PI intake with adapter plates.

people consider them a joke because well, they were. they were slow compared to almost all other performance cars on the market. in 98, the GT was absolutely destroyed by the introduction of the LS1 F-bodies. 225 and hp 290tq vs. 350hp 350tq. with the stock heads, the 96-98 2V doesn't have nearly the mod potential of PI equipped engines.

Before my headswap i used to get put through the spank machine by my friend with a 99GT. he used to laugh at me. After my headswap (and other goodies) I PIITB! I was at the track last year and a kid with an 04GT came over to my car and we started talking. When we each went through the first round we weere swapping timeslip numbers. He started saying how he couldn't break 15 and was hovering around 15.1. (at our elevation that's about right for a GT believe it or not). He made it sound as if my car must not be close to his times until i brought out my 14.6 slip. i think his face just about hit the floor. It was fun. Until I got murdered by an 04 Cobra. :hail2:

Moral of the story 96GT before headswap = :notnice:
96GT after headswap = :nice:

94Blackwidow said:
i just bought a 97 motor tranny rear with computer now ive been hearin that these things are a joke with out the pi heads and cams swap is this true where will i stand with just 410's and exhuast for now?

99% of NPI motors are best used as boat anchors. There are a few hard-core PI-hating T-bird guys that have some decent times with ported/polished NPI-headed 4.6s, though.

I'll put it like this. I had 96 SOHC motor in my car, now i have a 99 4v cobra in there.

If you can sell everything for what you bought it for do it. Get yourself a used 4v or even a 99+ 2v.

When i was doing my swap i was going to get a 99+2v but i got lucky with money and get the 4v.

I don't think its a joke. Just wasn't as "finished" as 99+ 4.6 is all. Since you bought engine(which I assume that its out of car), Its MUCH MUCH easier to swapp P.I head in. Just need few things to make it just as potent as 99+

i ran 14.1 at 97 in my 98gt with just pulleys, h pipe and timing adjuster. Usually though, the problem with people and non-pi cars is they dont know how to drive them, because they are friggin morons and shift at 6 grand.

My 03 ran almost 1 second faster with just a few more mods than my old car.

that is why people think the 96-98 are a joke.

Srt_Overboost said:
I like the mustangs that year with the 4.5 in em, but you are right people just dont know how to drive/launch them at all which makes them look terrible.

I'm hoping thats just a typo because no mustangs ever came with a 4.5L engine.

mity2 said:
I don't think its a joke. Just wasn't as "finished" as 99+ 4.6 is all. Since you bought engine(which I assume that its out of car), Its MUCH MUCH easier to swapp P.I head in. Just need few things to make it just as potent as 99+

True, when you buy a 4.6L 2v GT you might as well just add 2K onto a 96-98 GT and call it even to a 99+ GT and then whichever is cheaper or a better deal buy that. This is why Ford started the modular motor so you could do stuff like the PI headswap.

flashstang04 said:
My 98 was getting beat by all the 99+ models, no matter what mods I was making (bolt on of course). So eventually I just bought one.

I'm running a 14.4 with a few bolt-ons, if I was to do U/D pullies, TB & plenum, and timing adjuster I would be running with 99+ GT's.