Why is my left turn-signal light always lit?!!

Mikesbaron

Jun 1, 2019
WA
1979. When I bought the car both signal lights (on dash of cluster) seemed to work OK. They would only light up when the signal was actually being used. The next day I went to use the left one and it stayed lit and has since stayed lit up when not in use ever since. It will flash if I use the left signal but when turn is complete it goes back to lit. The right side light seems to be fine, goes off when not in use, and lights up when in use.

I have had the gauges checked by an gauge repair company. They told me all the lights in the entire cluster are operational. They said the turn signal issues appears to be unrelated to the cluster and is somewhere in the switch. I've checked all the outside turn signal bulbs and they are all working. I need some direction on where to look/where the switch is located? So what am I looking for (in the steering column) and/or is there another item I should be looking at.

• Sponsors (?)

Yes it's a 1979. Tips or tricks to remove the turn signal switch? Does the lever/long rod come out with the switch or do I separate? I like to know what I'm jumping into here before I break somethig.

Have you tried flipping it to the off position?

:leaving:

I keed I keed :jester:

Have you looked at the traces on the back of the gauge cluster? It's ooooooooold. There were several on my 86 (very similar to the cluster in your 79) that I had to repair.

Also... The thing is wired like very crappy set of Christmas Tree lights (the old style). A burned out bulb, broken ground wire (cluster or combo switch), or broken combo switch can all cause weird issues like you describe.

Have you tried flipping it to the off position?

:leaving:

I keed I keed :jester:

Have you looked at the traces on the back of the gauge cluster? It's ooooooooold. There were several on my 86 (very similar to the cluster in your 79) that I had to repair.

Also... The thing is wired like very crappy set of Christmas Tree lights (the old style). A burned out bulb, broken ground wire (cluster or combo switch), or broken combo switch can all cause weird issues like you describe.

When I sent it out to Instrument Services to have everything checked out they said everything was in order and working fine. They are the ones who suggested maybe the switch. Can the switch still be ordered, does someone reproduce them? Heck is there even an affordable supplier for a guage cluster these days?

When I sent it out to Instrument Services to have everything checked out they said everything was in order and working fine. They are the ones who suggested maybe the switch. Can the switch still be ordered, does someone reproduce them? Heck is there even an affordable supplier for a guage cluster these days?

No supplier for the cluster anymore. Even if there were, it would be some chinese hack like all the asinine headlights you see running around out there.

For the switch... I'm pretty sure you can still get those. Lemme look.

:doh:

Oct 4, 2019

I often wonder what happened after giving advice or tech info, this member may have found his turn signal fluid needed changing and was just embarrassed.
Maybe something major came up in his life and he hasn't been able to reply? I try to give folks the benefit of doubt, eventhough many times its probably just laziness.....but yes, I agree 100%, after soliciting and obtaining advice from the great, helpful members of this forum, a courtesy reply with the outcome would be appreciated.

Maybe something major came up in his life and he hasn't been able to reply? I try to give folks the benefit of doubt, eventhough many times its probably just laziness.....but yes, I agree 100%, after soliciting and obtaining advice from the great, helpful members of this forum, a courtesy reply with the outcome would be appreciated.
I dunno. If you discovered that your blinker fluid was low, would you admit it? :shrug:

Everybody reading this right now should go check their blinker fluid before they get caught with their pants down. :O_o:

Reactions: 1 user