Why is my steering sloppy? Is it the rack and pinion?

Rickyll7

Dec 16, 2005
Anyone have any suggestions or experience about a good rack and pinion replacement or upgrade? I found this one below at summit racing.

AGR 715583 - AGR High Performance Rack and Pinions - summitracing.com

I have some play in my steering wheel and want it gone. The rag joint is still in tact and doesn't have any play in it. I can't see any play in my tie rod ends either, so I think it's the rack...

Edit: Are 03-04 Cobra racks better? If so, where can I get one? Would they be better than the rack from summit above?

• Sponsors (?)

I just had someone turn the wheel back and forth through the loose play with everything off and the car on the ground. I could see the steering shaft rotate back and forth including the rag joint with no slop. However, the tie rods and wheels didn't budge at all. I'm thinking this proves the slop is coming from the rack, right? I just want to be sure before I begin buying parts.

Edit: The rack bushings held solid as well. No movement there.

It could just be the inner tie rods. They are notorious for getting sloppy when they get some miles on them.

Jack the car up in the front with both front wheels hanging in the air. (of course support with jack stands - safety first!) With the steering column locked grab hold of the tire (one hand on the front one hand on the back) & try to move it in & out while keeping an eye on the rack boot.

If there is movement & you can see the rack boot moving, the culprit is you inner tie rods. One thing to keep in mind, if your inners are bad, you might as well replace the outers too. That way you onlu have to get one alignment.

Even if it is only my inner tie rods, I would still like to replace them with the rack and pinion as a unit.

So does any one know what racks are good or would be a good upgrade: the AGR posted above, a Cobra unit, etc.?

Also, what are good replacement tie rod ends: moog?