why is the coolant light on???

rolenna00gt

Founding Member
Jul 11, 2002
k-town tn
My coolant light comes on every so often while I am drving. The water temp doesnt go past half way, so my engine is not getting hot as far as I can tell. I want the damn thing to go off and stay off.. Also I am going to flush my raiator when I get a chance, by putting redline water wetter in it what will that do, and what kind of coolant do you guys recomend?

• Sponsors (?)

Is your liqiud level at the correct height in the overflow res?

My 95 used to throw trouble lights when that got low, even though there was plenty of coolant in the radiator.

Hop

My coolant level is where it should be. It comes on when I drive sometimes, and back in the summer when it came on and I had the AC on it would blow out in the floor board on the pass. side and drip water a little bit.. :notnice:
I think I am goign to flush the rad. and clean the tank real good in the next couple of weeks when it is nice.. Cause I dont have a garage and I live on a hill :bang: Anymore clues about this problem I have seen other 2000 GT owners post the same question and never answered... :shrug:

any fix to this yet?

i just got the same light today.

i took the tank out and when i filled it with just water, the white floating thing just stayed on the bottom. i cleaned around that area where the floating thing is cause it was dirty. i took out the sensor on the bottom, but that looked clean.

i put some new coolant in and it looks like the floating thing is floating a little. i didn't buy enough coolant, so it didn't fill up the tank. will buy another bottle of coolant tomorrow.

Where is the float/float sensor? What is the best way to loosen it? My light is on, and I have already done a radiator flush and fill at Jiffylube. I thought I could try to mess with the float before I get a diagnostic to pull codes. Thanks.

mine is still on :(

i think i need a new resevoir tank. the floaty thing in the tank doesn't float all the way to the top. it stays like in the middle or something. if i move up the floating thing to the top and start the car, the light won't come on, but as i'm driving, the light will come on again. the floating thing will start to float towards the bottom and thats why the light comes on. at least thats what i think :shrug:

rolenna00gt said:
My coolant level is where it should be. It comes on when I drive sometimes, and back in the summer when it came on and I had the AC on it would blow out in the floor board on the pass. side and drip water a little bit.. :notnice:

The water that is coming out on the pas. side is condensation from the Ac, not the coolant unless you have a bad heater core.

When I changed the coolant, this happened to me. You might have air in the system, I loosened the coolant reservoir cap and ran the engine for a few mins then filled the coolant all the way up and it went away.