Why me?!!? -_-

kidneybrah

Mar 2, 2011
Miami, Fl
So I installed a Bama custom tune on my car. I gotta say the tune worked great. But now I'm having cooling issues. I called them and they said it shouldn't have anything to do with the tuner; So I'm asking here.

I installed a mishimoto 14 in electric fan yesterday.. All day yesterday the fan would come on when it was supposed to. No I'm all the way to the "L" in Normal, and the fan won't kick on. I can trick it into starting as long as I turn on the A/C but otherwise it wont come on.

What's going on with my car?

Also once it got to that level, even turning on the A/C, which turns on the fan, wouldn't bring it down. The fan is a one speed unit, and I have it wired to turn on when the "low speed fan" is supposed to kick on.

I'm so fed up with it, I wanna rip it apart. Please help.

Edit: coolant levels are up to par, and I'm assuming the relays are good, since the fan turns on with the A/C.

• Sponsors (?)

14" fan is pretty small, it might not be enough to keep the car cool. I would hit up a salvage yard and try to find a fan off a car like yours. Most aftermarket fans can't get the job done.

did you happen to read any of the reviews on AM.com?

IDK how valid this is, maybe someone can confirm:

Nick M said:
I just found out some new information. I spoke to a freind of mine who once worked with Ford and I found this out about the fan. The reason the fan seems like s**t is becasue of the three wires going to the fan from the car and theres only two wires on the Mishimoto fan. Now acording to the instructions for this item it tells you to connect the blue/orange wire from the car to the blue wire on the fan, and of course the two grounds connect. The instructions then say to tape off the red wire as its not needed. WRONG! Now coming from the car the three wires are as follows. Black is Ground, Red is low speed, and blue is high speed. If you connect a volt meter you will see for yourself that there is voltage to the red wire as soon as the fan is supposed to turn on (Around the RM on the NORMAL gauge); Once the temperature gets up. The only time voltage gets turned on the blue wire is when the engine gets extreamly hot (Around AL) OR if the air conditioning is turned on. For those of you who were like me and thought this product is crap, turn on your A/C and the fan should turn on. The reason is becasue the Red wire and the Blue wire are on separte relays in the CCRM and the AC is on the same relay as the High speed. This being said there is an easy solution, Switch the wires!. I connected my fan back up and this time i used the red wire to the blue wire on the fan. I started it up and let it get to temperature and sure enough the fan turned on when it was supposed to. I couldnt believe it. Its the blue/ orange wire you want taped up. Im thinking that with the Mishimoto fans theres only one speed. So if you have to choose what wire to connect, obviosly you want the wire conencted that will keep your engine cooler. I would advise against connecting both the red and blue/orange wire the blue wire on the fan becasue if you do that then when the engine gets to temperature and sends voltage to the red wire, voltage will back-feed in the ornage/blue wire. And i forget what my freidn said would happen but its not somehting you want to deal with... I really hope this helps other people becasue i was ready to take out my .12 gauge to this Aftermarket fan crap. Im running the fan in my car now and sofar...... SO GOOD.

did you happen to read any of the reviews on AM.com?

IDK how valid this is, maybe someone can confirm:

The guy had two reviews on there, he was already pretty pissed to begin with. Regardless, in his second review he states that it's not bad; just not what he was looking for. He also talks about wiring it wrong the first time around.

I figured out the problem.

Basically the tuner sets a temp for both the low and high speed; since my fan is only wired through the low speed, when the temp would get to 204 (where the high speed was set to cut on) it wouldn't let the fan power on.

I now have the low speed to come on at 196 or 200 (can't remember which one i chose) and the high speed to come on at the highest setting. Considering my car should never reach that temp anyway, I don't think I will have a problem anymore.

Thank you all for your help.