why mod a V6?

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

the 82 GN came with a 165HP 4.1L v6 with a quadra-jet 4bbl
and a 3.8l turbo 2bbl. out of 215 made only 16 were turbos

and i`ve got a .030 over buick N/A 3.8L in my garage with 350hp. these engines are a very good design and and offered more hp/cubic inch than the ford smallblock (untill better heads for the ford became available) but at a higher cost.

the ford 3.8 was copied from the buick engine with heads derived from the 351 cleveland.
the ford engine is almost 100lbs lighter than the buick and is a betterdesign overall
betterflowing and aluminum heads with a far better rocker design
lighter block with no usless skirt like the buick
on center block design to eliminate the offset con rods the buick had
crankshaft with larger mains and rods than the buick or 302
the 3.8 ford is a great engine to built
if it wasn`t why was it chosen over the 302 block by ford to make the 4.5L indy v6. ford already had the v8 why go with the v6 for indy? it`s a better design that`s why.
the fact is that 2/3`s of all sn95`s were 3.8`s so all the v8 guys that say it`s a waste to buy the 6, should thank all the 6 owners for keeping sales high enough to keep ford from axing the stang

Xaranthu said:
It was the initial release of the Grand National and was THE real thing, but more in the form of a pace like car reproduction - all show and no go. It was black and silver, not all black and was badges as a gn. They are the rarest of them all and will cost you the same, if not more than a gnX if you are lucky enough to find one that's in original condition with the 125 HP poop plant. Just do a search on the GN. The info is all over the net. :shrug:

buick-grandnational-1982a.jpg

The turbo regal was the best of the bunch for value. There was a bit of info on a "Special T", A T-Type interior produced with the GN body in 87, but I didn't read much about it... This was the last year for the rear drive platform so I guess they needed to get rid of all the parts and made due when they ran out of GN interiors. This T was probably the 235HP engine though. I don't think McLaren modded engines were used for them.

Z.

Attachments

• buick-grandnational-1982a.jpg
    buick-grandnational-1982a.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 139
The GN's and GNX's are VERY nice but I would buy a T-tpye Regeal. Something like a 86-87', they got the speed of a GN but looks slooowww :nice: My friend had one we pulled all the turbo badges off and swaped wheels, heck you couldn't tell crap about the car. The car looks just like that pic posted here. The best part about the car was the fact that he payed 25000.00 for it and ran as fast as a 10,000.00 GN.

its as simple as this..you mod it cause you want to, why did lil girls stick streamers on there bikes as kids instead of just buying one with it? cause they wanted to! i look at it like this, if i beat a gt in my 6, its an upset, if they beat me, its expected, a 6 has nothing to lose and everything to gain in racing a v8, anyone ( in general) can buy a fast car, its making a fast car that is all the difference, now put this why mod a v6 crap to rest eh?

big o car 4.6 said:
I am not trying to start/talk **** on the forum but I was just wondering why you would do that. Why would you not just buy a V8 to start with?

Thanks

Its Kinda the same thing when I ask

"Why mod a NON-PI SOHC 4.6?" becuase im pretty sure the 99+ V6's are almost as fast as those V8's :)

Becuase its fun, and there is less investment. Im sure a lot of people on here enjoy there little 6 bangers! I think its awesome what you can do with a 6

I used to love playing with my Second GEN probe a long time ago! (Just got to where it wasnt as fun anymore)

I do however despise the sound they make ...ick :notnice:

Status
Not open for further replies.