Why should I love the new Mustang?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well as I said, I do love how the car looks. The other nice thing is that there is no torque steer. Of course there is no wheelspin even since it is only the V6. The brakes seem to work ok as well.

Other than that what is there to like? The radio, seats, interior space, suspension tuning, engine, 5spd trans, exhaust, dealer network, trunk access, fuel economy and even the cupholders all suck compared to my past cars.

Also is it just me or is the steering wheel not even centered with the drivers seat? I will have to look at that closer tomorrow, because when I was driving today it seemed off to one side slightly.

• Sponsors (?)

D.Hearne said:
:D I figured you more as an Insight or Prius kind of boy.:D

No hybrids for me. Makes no sense. Why spend thousands extra for the hybrid when you can get a Corolla or a Civic that get almost the same mileage for much less up front. Plus there won't be unforseen expenses for things like battery packs down the road. Marketing deserves a pat on the back for convincing so many people to buy hybrids.

Why is Spdfreak such an idiot? Neon's have never entered this conversation until his teenage mentality decided to try and be funny.

Listen the only downside to my current car, the Malibu Maxx, is the torque steer from the 220 ft/lbs of torque at low rpms. You can't even apply full throttle from a stop or you will just put the tires up in smoke. One nice thing is that the power from the 3.5L is so direct and linear that you can control the onset of tire spin so precisely with the throttle. My Odyssey that ran 0-60 in 7.8 was also a terrible torque steer machine but it would give a nice bark from the tires when it upshifted to second on certain occasions.

PNYEXP said:
My wife bought the new 2006 Mustang V6 5spd with Pony pkg. Now I will admit the car is a beautiful car but that is where it ends for me. I have been driving the car all week this week since I think she may be getting sick of it as well. She said it was easier to use our Malibu Maxx with all the stuff she has going on this week.

Well here are my issues that make it very hard to even like the car, keep in mind this is the Pony package so it has the GT suspension and 17" wheels and tires:

-Only way to get into trunk is with key or keyfob

So what? :shrug:

-Cramped and tight

Its a coupe, not a suburban.

-Small glass areas make for confined space

Whatever that means?

-Headrest on drivers seat tilts forward so far that it makes the seat the most uncomfortable I have ever sat in. You have to tilt the seat back so far just to make it so your head doea not keep hitting the head rest.

If you wouldnt sit like a gramma so close to the steering wheel this wouldnt be a problem.

-Steering feel is numb
-Car never settles down in corners

quit jerking the wheel around.

-Over dips and rises the front damping is perfect but the rear feels like a Buick. It is like you are driving two different cars at once.

maybe.

-Drives like a very large cumbersome vehicle, not nimble on it feet at all.

it might feel that way, but its only in your mind

-Interior is ridiculously hot compared to our Maxx. Only A/C fixes problem since air doesn't flow around car well. Leather interior sucks as does the smoking hot black leather steering wheel.

This makes no sense. Any black leather steering wheel will get hot. Cars get hot in the summer.

-500watt Shaker sound system does not even sound as good as the stock radio system in my Maxx.
-No tether for power outlet cover so it gets lost every week

Thats your own fault

-Engine lacks any snap, feels like you need to plan every move ahead of time.

Again, your own fault for not getting the GT.
-On several occasions we can't downshift to second gear if the car is moving at all. Of course dealer never notices problem so the car is fine in their eyes.

T5 tranny sucks balls.

-Exhaust makes the most aweful snap crackle sound for first two shifts. Sounds like an internal baffle. Makes the car sound like the biggest pile of crap as well. Of course dealer can't dup so it is normal.

I guess that sums it up pretty well. I am trying to learn to like this car since we leased it for 3yrs but the car makes it virtually impossible. Whenever both my Malibu Maxx and the Mustang are home I will take the Maxx with no thought at all. The Maxx drives ten times better, is more responsive in both handling and power and feels like a car that is twice the size in terms of room. Plus for whatever reason, the Maxx does not get so hot that you need to use the A/C all the time just to keep from sweating in it. In all the Mustang feels like driving an old Hyundai Excel when compared to my Chevy Malibu Maxx.

I really wanted to love this Mustang but I just don't think it will ever happen. I do love looking at it while it sits in the driveway, does that count?

Guys this guys post count is 0. He is here just to stir up conversation and crap. Look at what he drives. Obviously he is not made for a sports car. Styling... the Maxx is in the running for ugliest car of the year vs. the Chevy Aveo(are you seeing the light here, GM is teh loser on styling). The V6 stang is faster stock and easily modded to run 14s or better. Mods for the Maxx? Oh yeah there is no aftermarket support for a car that stinking ugly. Interiors the latest(was it C&D or R&T) on the new Maxx SS(which I don't think he owns) the interior is cheap with huge gaps. Enthusiast- a true enthusiast no matter what they drive will contend that RWD is much better suited for spirited driving than FWD. The car is apples and oranges. he says that he only notices women driving them(he admits that he notices them). The thing he doesn't say is that anybody notices him in the Maxx. Not a concern/ Then why would his wife buy that car with 2 kids? I have 4 kids. When I take more than 2 or the wife, I take my minivan(sorta looks like an oversized Maxx with an ultra responsive pushrod engine!). Now I'm going to lurk on the performance Maxx forum and pick up on some hot women!:lol:

firestang70 said:
Guys this guys post count is 0. He is here just to stir up conversation and crap. Look at what he drives. Obviously he is not made for a sports car.
I really am not the sports car type. I just can't see being confined and uncomfortable just to try and look cool.

Styling...the Maxx is in the running for ugliest car of the year vs. the Chevy Aveo(are you seeing the light here, GM is teh loser on styling). The V6 stang is faster stock and easily modded to run 14s or better. Mods for the Maxx? Oh yeah there is no aftermarket support for a car that stinking ugly. Interiors the latest(was it C&D or R&T) on the new Maxx SS(which I don't think he owns) the interior is cheap with huge gaps.
At the strip the Mustang may be quicker but in the real world the Maxx has usable power when you need it. Plus it is far more nimble and driveable than the Mustang. At the track the Mustang may be tops but in real world driving there is no comparison. And guess what, we do 100% of our driving in the real world.

Enthusiast- a true enthusiast no matter what they drive will contend that RWD is much better suited for spirited driving than FWD. The car is apples and oranges.
Rwd is better for the track, dragstrip and autocross in some cases. But we are on the streets that are full of traffic everyday. In many cases I have seen fwd cars make rwd cars look silly at the autocross.

he says that he only notices women driving them(he admits that he notices them). The thing he doesn't say is that anybody notices him in the Maxx. Not a concern/ Then why would his wife buy that car with 2 kids? I have 4 kids. When I take more than 2 or the wife, I take my minivan(sorta looks like an oversized Maxx with an ultra responsive pushrod engine!).
She bought it for two reasons, to be noticed and because her father had one he wanted to give her before he passed away before his time was up.

Now I'm going to lurk on the performance Maxx forum and pick up on some hot women!:lol:
Please tell me a forum like that dosen't exist. I don't understand why anyone would want to upgrade a FWD family sedan.

Truth be told I simply wanted to find out what the big love affair with the Mustang is aside from looks and V8 straight line power. My wife really does have one and I thought it would be fun to drive but was so surprised to find how terrible the car is. I doubt things will get any better with Ford stock hitting an all time low this week.

I am just waiting two more years and then I will get my new Avalon touring model with a 0-60 in 6 seconds flat and a 14.6 second 1/4 mile at 100mph. Plus it has a huge interior and refinement American cars can only dream about. plus the car can get a real world 23-30 mpg while making 270hp and 250 ft/lbs of torque. The touring suspension even keeps the car from floating like past Avalon models. Sounds like the perfect car for me. I WILL test drive this one however.

Maybe when the Mustang lease is over I can get my wife to look at the BMW 3 series. My guess is they were able to get all the Mustang shortcomings right. Plus I am sure there is not the ridiculous bobbing from the rear suspension over dips and rises in the road.

barrel.jpg

"At the strip the Mustang may be quicker but in the real world the Maxx has usable power when you need it. Plus it is far more nimble and driveable than the Mustang. At the track the Mustang may be tops but in real world driving there is no comparison. And guess what, we do 100% of our driving in the real world. "

View attachment 460712

Wow you guys have some serious issues in how you deal with shortcomings. I guess when there is no way to back up the car you love you resort to humor. I guess if it works for you that's great.

Believe me I am just as dissappointed as you all are. I had this idea that she would buy the Mustang and I would steal it from here each morning when I left for work. I actually thought the car was a world class vehicle that anybody would love. Boy was I wrong. I am absolutely amazed that Ford is able to pass off these overpriced boats as easy as they do. I guess it is the American dream to own a Mustang or a Vette at least once in a lifetime.

She drove it and said she looked great in it so it would be great for her. I asked her how it drove and she said I don't know but the radio sounds ok and the dash changes colors :rolleyes:

Well if that is the car you want go ahead I said. I saw no need to drive it since it was a 2006 Mustang so it must be a great car. Everyone wants one right?

PNYEXP said:
I really am not the sports car type. I just can't see being confined and uncomfortable just to try and look cool. BOY AIN'T THAT THE TRUTH.
At the strip the Mustang may be quicker but in the real world the Maxx has usable power when you need it. Plus it is far more nimble and driveable than the Mustang. At the track the Mustang may be tops but in real world driving there is no comparison. And guess what, we do 100% of our driving in the real world.
I DIDN'T REALIZE THE STANG HAD DRIVE TRAIN THAT YOU HAD TO PROGRAM THE POWER YOU DESIRED BEFORE BEING ABLE TO USE IT.
Rwd is better for the track, dragstrip and autocross in some cases. But we are on the streets that are full of traffic everyday. In many cases I have seen fwd cars make rwd cars look silly at the autocross.
IF YOU NEW HOW TO DRIVE FWD VS RWD WOULDN'T MAKE A DIFFERENCE
She bought it for two reasons, to be noticed and because her father had one he wanted to give her before he passed away before his time was up.
AH, NOW WE GET IT, SHE'S LOOKIN FOR A NEW MAN!!!!!!! IF HER FATHER DIED, THEN HIS TIME WAS UP.

Truth be told I simply wanted to find out what the big love affair with the Mustang is aside from looks and V8 straight line power. My wife really does have one and I thought it would be fun to drive but was so surprised to find how terrible the car is. I doubt things will get any better with Ford stock hitting an all time low this week.
AND GM'S STOCK IS BETTER? :D WITH ALL THEIR PROBLEMS?:rlaugh: :rlaugh:
I am just waiting two more years and then I will get my new Avalon touring model with a 0-60 in 6 seconds flat and a 14.6 second 1/4 mile at 100mph. Plus it has a huge interior and refinement American cars can only dream about. plus the car can get a real world 23-30 mpg while making 270hp and 250 ft/lbs of torque. The touring suspension even keeps the car from floating like past Avalon models. Sounds like the perfect car for me. I WILL test drive this one however.
YOU MAKE ALL THOSE CLAIMS, BUT HAVEN'T DRIVEN IT YET? WHERE'D I HEAR THAT BEFORE ?
Maybe when the Mustang lease is over I can get my wife to look at the BMW 3 series.YEA THEN THE RICH GUYS WILL TAKE NOTE OF HER. YOU'RE NOT MAKING ENOUGH MONEY I GUESS

Status
Not open for further replies.