Why steal valve stem caps?

Dusstbuster

I love meat more than anything! I just have a spec
May 31, 2004
Moorhead, Minnesota
Why is it that people steal valve stem caps? I mean......you can't sell them and make a profit, and it's not really that big of a vadalism type ordeal. Is their life that lame that they want to commit some sort of crime/vandalism, but nothing overly major, so they decide to steal some aluminum cap off someones wheels? If you're going to vandalize a car why wouldn't you just light it on fire or key it or something that would actually hurt the owners wallet a little more?

Granted i'm happy thats all that they took, but I mean honestly...get a frickin life or grow some and make your efforts worthwhile..jeez people..because if I found out who stole my stem caps i'd treat them exactly like i'd treat someone if I caught them keying my car or anything else. I'd make them wish they'd never been born.

Anyone know of a good online store to buy caps at? I don't want the black ones, i'd prefer machined aluminum to match the wheels...

• Sponsors (?)

When I was 12 or 13 I knew someone who took those things like it was their job. Never understood why... pretty gay though.

Chances are its some kid that just grew his first pube and has to feel like a little bad ass, so he goes and steals $2 worth of shiny metal.

BurningRubber said:
When I was 12 or 13 I knew someone who took those things like it was their job. Never understood why... pretty gay though.

Chances are its some kid that just grew his first pube and has to feel like a little bad ass, so he goes and steals $2 worth of shiny metal.
+1
I had some "friends" that did that when they were around that age..I never understood why either..Weird.

1. Valvestem caps
2. ...
3. Profit

gnomes.gif

BurningRubber said:

I had a friend who did that. Had like 50 of them in a Crown Royal sack in his room. I told him he needed professional help. Same reason he later bought a Honda...

I'd rather them take the valve caps than do something major like keying...now those are the dumbasses i can't stand! especially cause I'm worrying about it now that I park at school, and there are a lot of dumb people.

Vandalizing someone else's property FTL.

Dusstbuster said:
Anyone know of a good online store to buy caps at? I don't want the black ones, i'd prefer machined aluminum to match the wheels...

My brother got me some nice ones a few years back that have the Ford emblem in the middle and they are aluminum. They came with this keychain (also aluminum) with a oval cutout that you are supposed to put over the caps to tighten them where someone can't just come turn them off. It works too! I mean someone could bust out some wrenches or whatever but yeah ... I'll take a picture and if you like them, I can ask him where he got em' if you want ...

:stupid: know two kids who did that when i was like 12 too... it was also like a hobby for them who could get more and nicer ones... they gave me two for my bike to so i was pretty happy...never did it myself though....

DTNODYA said:
So you want more of a chrome look ... Regardless, here's a pic of the ones I have (picture of one on my toolbox)

pa030008ye8.th.jpg

Yeah i'd prefer one without the emblem or anything like that on it. The originals just had something about them that was "there" and yet it looked great with the wheels. Now it's just ugly I think with the rims and then goldish valves sitting there.

Attachments

• pa030008ye8.th.jpg
    pa030008ye8.th.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 140
I stole them when i was kid. Granted I was 10-12 years old back then and didn't know any better. Me and my friends used to take them and put em on our bikes. It was a treat when you found some chrome ones, but once in a while we'd score some dice or 8-balls or something unique

Little did I know you can go to Autozone and buy all different ones for $5. The chrome caps i have now are from AZ.

I used to have a sweet set of Mustang caps. They had the running pony tri-bar logo. ANyway i put them on and then went to the movies later that night. I parked next to a V6 Mustang. I came out two hours later, the V6 Mustang is gone and so are all my caps. $15 and they lasted 4 hours on the car!!!

I'd buy another set, but they will prob get stolen again QUICK!

I think like 5 people in my area had them when I was a kid. They would move from bike to bike, to cars, to bikes again. I remember seeing a few different cars at my school with 4 different caps on them. I had a buddy that was convinced that the caps with the little dots on the top of them had alarms on them!

Only reason my caps are still on, is because the damn things are seized on there!