Why The #*%@

nonlocality

Founding Member
Mar 5, 2002
MESA, AZ.
I hate my car. its so wierd only in winter will it overheat? WTF??? Its happened twice where ill be driving like normal and the temp gauge will shoot all the way to the "L" and then itll drop back down to the "N" in a matter of seconds. The fan never comes on or at least i cant see it or hear it come on when this happens. WTF can it be?

• Sponsors (?)

Are your other gages going wacky with it?? or have you not noticed?? only time i ever had wacky readings was when my battery was on the way out. mine would do the same thing..chg'd the battery, and all was good...no more crazy readings...
Friggin electrical gages....time to spring for a mechanical one....with a 192 stat mine won't even hit 180 this time of year....

next time you notice it way up like that, turn the heat on midway or so, and put the fan on high...it should walk the temp down within minutes, that'll tell you at least the fan is coming on....this summer, whenever mine got to like 200, i would turn heater fan on, and it would walk it right down 10 degree's....thats my bonehead manual fan switch.. :D Try it, you'll be surprised how it works...

my first thought would also be the gauges malfunctioning and not the motor actually getting that hot. to heat up and cool off that fast wouldnt be expected even with a problem.

otherwise a blown head gasket (cylinder to water jacket) could also move the temp that fast but you would be consuming water rapidly and probably be smoking white out the exhaust

I don't think even a blown head gasket could make the needle move that fast, especially in the downward direction. If it's dropping from L to N in seconds, then you're certainly experiencing some kind of electrical problem. Could be the sender, wiring, or the gauge itself (the latter happened to me, my temp gauge just up and died).

Dave

all the other gauges work fine. as far as i can tell its only the temp gauge. I think the temp gauge is dying on me cus there is no coolant leak and fan comes on. how could i check the temp sensor and see if thats whats out of wack? or maybe like a temp fuse or something. thanks for the help so far guys :nice:

I don't think you have a fuse problem. I believe that you've got a loose or missing ground connection. I had the same problem but additionaly my voltmeter would drop down a notch, and the oil guage would swing crazy. Then they would all come back into line, on their own, :shrug: wierd. Anyway I replaced the entire guage cluster and sendors, still had the same problems. Never heard or saw the fan kick in. Got to checking the battery and noticed that I was getting less voltage between different points around the engine. Read somewhere about a ground strap (factory) that goes between the back of the motor and the firewall. Remembered seeing it a long time ago. Made up a new one going between the firewall (under the strut bar) to the rear top intake bolt. All good for about two weeks, then the nut would get loose, and guages go wacky again. Tighten, good. Loosen, wacky. Moved it to the lower rear intake bolt and have not had a problem for over 5 months now. Hope this helps someone. :nice:

Mine did that last winter when it was -30* :eek:

I though it was the serpentine belt.

In the spring my fan motor caught fire. The bearings in your fan are going to seize. I had the 'circuit breaker recall' done, but it happened anyway. Ford replaced it free. Just happened to be checking my fluids when the fan caught fire.

Change your fan!

Edit: There is a second 'voluntary' recall on the fan. It is to Ford's discretion to replace it.

HairyCanary said:
Is nobody reading his original post?

How could the thermostat cause that behavior? Or the fan? :confused:

Dave

Fan not working= surefire boilover, no matter what the outside temp is.

In the case of overtorqued bolts on the fan (check the recalls), the fan will seize.
Mine temp gauge shot way up several times last winter. Changed the belt and idler pulley. Didn't do squat. I also had a new coolant sensor. When the fan motor caught fire, Ford changed the whole fan assembly. Haven't had a problem since.

I don't think the thermostat would do it, since almost every thermostat made these days are the 'Fail Open' type.

Another possibility is an air bubble in the block.

well thanks for all the help guys i checked everything ya'll suggested and everything was in working order. ive since been driving my car around and it hasnt happened again. very wierd. still a little concerned about it but as long as it doesnt happen again im happy. thanks for all the help guys :nice:
HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL!! :flag:

well i think i figured it out but im not sure i understand it. The fan is apparantley dead. it doesnt come on for anything and i checked all the fuses and wires and all that junk but still doesnt work. now if it was that the fan was dyin on me, how would that cause the temp to shoot up all the way to the "L" and then drop back down to the "N"? :shrug: im really confused now. and now that the fan is dead, the temp stays right in the middle between the "R" and the "M" also is there anything i should do before i just go out and buy a new fan? :shrug:

Have you checked on the recall for the fan motor assembly? My fan motor caught fire and under the recall, I got a brand new fan assembly. As for the temp. gauge, those things arent very accurate, you never know when they start to take a crap on you. Either get it fixed under recall or replace the fan yourself with a flex-a-lite or something.