Fox Why won’t my engine run cool

paddyrk

Jun 7, 2018
Dublin, OH
Sorry if this should be in the tech section, but I think here is better since I’m asking for opinions.
I have a 1991 347 swap, mild motor, 325whp so nothing crazy. I live in suburban Columbus so it is hot here now. Today I was out cruising, some light pulls, and my temp was still just about constantly 195-200.
I have this water pump, electronic, 55 GPM
I have this radiator and dual fan setup
I use VP cool down additive with distilled/drinking water
My timing is set correctly (verified at the Dyno and haven’t changed it), I just don’t see why I could STILL not run cool, I use a 180 degree thermostat, but I still run that hot, is it possible my hood doesn’t have enough exhaust flow (as in letting the air escape near the winshield)? I really don’t know how this happens.
please let me know your thoughts and ideas, this is very frustrating since I need to be able to daily drive this car. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Those fans are Terrible . Ford contour fans would be a world of a difference.
195 -200 isn’t over heating either.

• Useful
Reactions: 2 users
put a Stewart or Edelbrock water pump and Contour fan on it. As Jeff said those fans dont pull enough CFM to keep a stock mustang cool. I agree 195 to 205 is not overheating. For your reference, if it is having issues at idle or in traffic it is usually an airflow issue. The Contour fan pulls over 3000 CFM. Couple that with a FAL31165 controller and a 3G alternator and you are set.

Just did this last summer like other say, contour fans and 3 core aluminum radiator I set my fans up to either one fan or two i run 306 and it will run 180- 190 all day and that's with one fan running, I have yet to turn the other fan on. Found my fans at local junk yard for 30 bucks

On a side note, the air flow through the radiator into the engine compartment is designed to flow out under the car, there should be a plastic air dam on the cross member, this helps direct air up and down, this creates negative pressure behind it that lets the air in the engine compartment to escape out under the car.
The factory installs a 192* thermostat so 195-205* is not overheating. That's where they are designed to run.

Reactions: 1 users
I have a 3 core OEM style radiator, Contour fans set up for dual speed (both fans low or high), 180 thermostat and controller sensor in lower rad hose. I never get above 200/205 and don't get high speed coming on (low speed or no fans if I am moving). Works great.

Reactions: 1 user
put a Stewart or Edelbrock water pump and Contour fan on it. As Jeff said those fans dont pull enough CFM to keep a stock mustang cool. I agree 195 to 205 is not overheating. For your reference, if it is having issues at idle or in traffic it is usually an airflow issue. The Contour fan pulls over 3000 CFM. Couple that with a FAL31165 controller and a 3G alternator and you are set.

You actually want a Flowkooler water pump. The Stewart and Edelbrock are actually just factory style pumps. There is nothing special about them. I made a thread about this with pictures about 10 years ago.

Kurt

Sorry if this should be in the tech section, but I think here is better since I’m asking for opinions.
I have a 1991 347 swap, mild motor, 325whp so nothing crazy. I live in suburban Columbus so it is hot here now. Today I was out cruising, some light pulls, and my temp was still just about constantly 195-200.
I have this water pump, electronic, 55 GPM
I have this radiator and dual fan setup
I use VP cool down additive with distilled/drinking water
My timing is set correctly (verified at the Dyno and haven’t changed it), I just don’t see why I could STILL not run cool, I use a 180 degree thermostat, but I still run that hot, is it possible my hood doesn’t have enough exhaust flow (as in letting the air escape near the winshield)? I really don’t know how this happens.
please let me know your thoughts and ideas, this is very frustrating since I need to be able to daily drive this car. Thanks

[When] does the engine seem to heat soak the most; while running or while sitting still?

The fans type is largely irrelevant when the car is moving at highway speeds. Sitting still is a different matter.