Wideband Air/Fuel gauge?

I have a useless narrowband Autometer A/F gauge right now that was free so it was kind of my test run for wiring. Data wire is running down to one of the 2 optional wires in the PCM.

What am I looking at for upgrading to a wideband? I assume I need a new O2 sensor. Do I just throw it in the place of my old one, plug into the factory pigtail...and...how does the gauge get its reading from there? Can I use the same data wire already coming from my PCM?

What do you guys recommend as far as a gauge?

Why the price difference in these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AUTO...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ATM-8778

• Sponsors (?)

WB sensors cannot simply be plugged in place of NB sensors. WB sensors require sophisticated current and heater controls and usually have a separate controller for this purpose.

The first link looks reasonable. The second of your links (8778) indicates that it "Requires use of 14, 24, or 44-channel Ultra-Lite Pro data acquisition systems for operation." so it may not be suitable for you.

I'd recommend also looking into Innovate's line of WB hardware. Check out:

G2 Gauges: Air Fuel Ratio Guage

DB Gauges: Air Fuel Ratio Guage

One of the nice things about the LC-1 controller from Innovate is that you can connect it in such a way that it simulates a narrow-band sensor to the PCM while providing you with WB mixture data. This way, you can run a WB in the original bung, connect the NB simulation to the car's PCM and get the benefit of WB monitoring without having to install a separate bung and another O2 sensor.

Innovate (or Auto Meter or whomever) does the hard part by designing the WB sensor controller. For you it's still just running some wires and mounting the gauge.

I'm still slightly confused on the Innovate. So I replace my NB O2 sensor with a WB sensor in the same bung. Where does this controller/simulator fit in? The same pigtail that's connected right now which runs to the PCM?

I already have a single pod and the power is already tapped and grounded for my NB gauge so I could re-use that.

I'm still slightly confused on the Innovate. So I replace my NB O2 sensor with a WB sensor in the same bung.

Correct.

Where does this controller/simulator fit in?

The WB connects to the controller. The controller is then wired to the car (power, to the gauge etc.)

The same pigtail that's connected right now which runs to the PCM?

The controller provides an output (yellow lead) you can connect to the O2 sensor signal wire on the car that runs to the PCM. This signal simulates a NB output so the PCM thinks a NB sensor is still present. You could take an old O2 sensor and modify its wiring: Leave the heater power intact but connect the signal and signal return leads from the connector to the LC-1 controller. That way the PCM doesn't complain about a O2S heater problem.

Read this for more info:

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/support/manual/LC-1_Manual.pdf