widest tire for pony wheel?

• Sponsors (?)

a guy i know has mickey thompson slicks on a pony rim, but i think he had someone cut the rim and widened it or something, because i dont think you can put mickey thompsons on stock ponys

Nah. With 255's, you might rub up front, and you *might* need to flip quads in the rear, but with 245's, you should be plenty clear at all four corners. FWIW, I intend to throw a set of 245/50/16's on my Ponies when the Falkens I have on there now wear out ... which might take a long, long time, if I'm only driving the car on weekends. :D

For a street car i like to keep the same size on the front and back. 245's seem to fit really well. I think the rule of thumb for the best handling is that you want you tire to be 1" wider than your rim. No more, No less. That would mean that on a 7.5 inch pony...the tire should be no wider than a 215!!! But we all know that looks like poop. I think a 245 are going to be a little baloony and possibly a little washy in the corners...but they will look good!

I ran 255 50's on my old 93 lx. It was lowered with Eibachs up front and the rear HMP Mega bit Jrs we at the lowest setting. (overall about 1 1/4 inches) No rubbing that I can remember and they looked great. My current 92 GT has 225's and once the get burned off :)D ) I will put 255's on the rear at least and probally 245's up front due to gt's suck for clearance.