widest tire on a 18x9???

Green4.6GT

Size Matters
Founding Member
Dec 31, 2001
Regina, Sask, Canada
without getting screwed up treadwear,

285-30-18 would be the right size (same tire height as stock)
but i'm guessing those wont fit???

maybe 275-30-18?? .9 % total height diffrence (smaller) edit: cant find many brands that make this size.

and 265-35-18 its 2.5% taller than stock ..

• Sponsors (?)

grtpmkn said:
Check my signature..... :D

285-35-18's hey... (30's are the right height)arnt they a bit tall? i dont want to have to get more gear, i got the 4.30s for a reason damnit lol...

do they buldge much? i dont want them to bald in the center (had 265's on a 7 inch rim and they went bald in the middle)

do you have a pic perhaps??? and dont tell me you have 285s on the front too :eek:

rules of thumb are

245 8.0
255 8.5
265 9.0
275 9.5
285 10.0

now that being said there is fudge room there. but you usually don't want to go a full inch. you can go .5 either way and still be in the recomended area.

That being said someone will proably post in and say they did it but it is not recomeded.

Also having very little sidewall with some tires is going to expose you rim to curb damage.

hognutz said:
rules of thumb are

245 8.0
255 8.5
265 9.0
275 9.5
285 10.0

now that being said there is fudge room there. but you usually don't want to go a full inch. you can go .5 either way and still be in the recomended area.

That being said someone will proably post in and say they did it but it is not recomeded.

Also having very little sidewall with some tires is going to expose you rim to curb damage.

cool thanks man, and i am definately getting tires that have the rim guard lip.

ps it definately can be done, i've seen 295s on ten holes hahahaa

Green4.6GT said:
do you have a pic perhaps??? and dont tell me you have 285s on the front too :eek:

285's all around....Roush Stage 2 suspension, no rubbing at all...

105PA250004.JPG

Green4.6GT said:
very nice man :nice: looks good.. whats the offset of the rims??, i think the backs should be out a bit more personally, but it looks sexy either way..

what lowering springs/shocks does the rousch kit come with?

I don't recall the exact offset of the wheels. I got them from AFSwheels.com, so I'm guessing the info is on their website. Personally, I feel the backs are in to far as well. This is a "Ford" thing. I've been told that a '99+ rear end is about 1"-1 1/2" wider overall, which would probably take care of this. I could go with 1/2" wheel spacer too, but I'm not sure if I'm crazy about that.

The Roush kit consists of different coils and Bilstein shocks and struts. Drop was about 1 1/2" in front, 1" in the rear.

grtpmkn said:
I don't recall the exact offset of the wheels. I got them from AFSwheels.com, so I'm guessing the info is on their website. Personally, I feel the backs are in to far as well. This is a "Ford" thing. I've been told that a '99+ rear end is about 1"-1 1/2" wider overall, which would probably take care of this. I could go with 1/2" wheel spacer too, but I'm not sure if I'm crazy about that.

The Roush kit consists of different coils and Bilstein shocks and struts. Drop was about 1 1/2" in front, 1" in the rear.

i had to use 1/2 inch spacers to get the rims to fit on my old fox, no problems whatsoever.. you might want too look into it.. cheap and improves the looks alot

Green4.6GT said:
cool thanks man, and i am definately getting tires that have the rim guard lip.

ps it definately can be done, i've seen 295s on ten holes hahahaa

yeah it can be done. As I have gotten older though I try to stick to recomendations as I can now admit that people at BFG, goodyear, etc are smarter about tires than I am. if they say 285=9.5-10.5" that is what I would do. you are not way out there with 285's on a 9" though

when I was young I worked at a tire shop. I have streched 295 50's on 8" rims. they didn't look right though and it was a pain in th ass but they physicaly fit.