widest tire size on ten hole 15's?

90lxfoxbody

Jan 11, 2006
does anyone know what the widest safe tire size is i can run on my factory ten hole rims? they came from the factory with 225/60/r15's. i want a matching set with slightly wider tires on the back.

• Sponsors (?)

A good rule of thumb is to keep the tire's section width (the first number in mm) no more than 2-2.5" wider than the rim width. This is so the wheel provides the support the tire requires. If the 10-holes are 7" wide -- then you want a section width of no more than 9" to 9.5". That works out to a section width in the 225-245 range. Any wider tire than that and you really need a wider wheel. You can physically mount a wider tire, but it will be far from optimal.

I've had 3 sets of 235/60R15 tires on mine, I imagine you could fit a much wider tire on the back (my fronts rub on the control arms a bit) but you'd better measure or look at the clearance between the tire and the quad shocks before you decide how wide to go. I think I might check out the whole 265 possibility next time I go in for tires...

sirr0bin said:
For all intensive purposes, they are indentical wheels
thanks i just didn't know cause whenever someone is looking for a stocker to run DR's they always look for a 10 hole i was not sure if maybe the turbine was a little different or something

2KsilverGT said:
You guys will probly laugh but I have some Mickey T's 275/50's on my ten holes. Hooks great though hehe. Just awaiting some drag lites.
but prolly didnt get driven much on the road.

if u like the ten holes, then u can send them off to someone that can resize them a couple more inches:nice: