Wheels-Tires Widest Tire You Can Fit By Flipping Your Quad Shocks?

Jakob Fields

Nov 6, 2015
I got a 95 Mustang yesterday, I want to buy new rims and I found a good deal on some 17x10.5 rims and I read on the website that you may have to flip or remove your quad shocks to fit. I have seen on other forums that people have flipped their quad shocks for clearance for a 275 tire and the recommended tire size for those rims is 315. So I just was wondering if I should look for different rims or could I fit the 315s without having to completely remove the quad shocks?

• Sponsors (?)

I run a 10.5 with a 275, and flipped the quad shocks (in my case the wheel and not the tire was getting closer than I wanted, I don't think I actually had to flip them but did anyways). You'd need to know the exact back-spacing of the wheel, and all tires aren't created equal (some will bulge more than others in a 315). That's probably why you're seeing so many different answers when researching. With a properly backspaced 10.5, and a 275, you most likely will get away with just a flipping, if even that is needed. With a 315, you might have to remove the quad shocks. That won't be the end of the world if you have to, but I went with the 275 because I didn't want to replace the stock control arms to compensate for the quad-shock removal, which is what I've seen recommended to fix the wheel-hop that stock control arms without the quad-shocks will cause.

These are the wheels I'm running. Not very much modifying at all.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/chromefr500-17in-9498-nitto-stag.html

Manufacturer: AmericanMuscle Wheels Style: FR500
Size: 17x9 / 17x10 Finish: Chrome
Placement: Front and Rear Centercap Size: Large (2-1/2")
Back Spacing: 6.2" (158mm) / 6.8" (174mm) Offset: +30mm (1.2") / +27mm (1.10")
Bolt Pattern: 5x4.5" (5x114.3mm) Weight: Front: 22.6 lbs / Rear: 26.2 lbs
Material: Aluminum Lip Size : N/A" 5"
Best Tire : Year/Model: 1994-1998 V6, GT, and SVT Cobra