widest wheels on 03 or 04 cobra?

Kima

Aug 15, 2004
I had considered moving up to a 10.5 or 11 in the back, either 17 or 18. I would like to do so without having to mod any bolts and preferably without spacers. Are there any that retain the same BS, but stick out more? I know most were made for the GT crowd, not the cobras.

Anyone running 315s on back without problems?

• Sponsors (?)

Kima said:
I had considered moving up to a 10.5 or 11 in the back, either 17 or 18. I would like to do so without having to mod any bolts and preferably without spacers. Are there any that retain the same BS, but stick out more? I know most were made for the GT crowd, not the cobras.

Anyone running 315s on back without problems?

Not that I'm aware of. If you want to maintain the stock BS you'll have to custom order a set. I have the AFS 17X10.5's and they do not have the stock BS. I had to replace my IRS bolt with a buttonhead so my Nitto 315's wouldn't rub. When I upgrade to the 315 GY GS-D3's I'll have to run a 5/8" spacer in conjunction with the buttonhead bolt in order to clear everything.

U.M.

I run AFS 17x10.5's with 315 BFG KD's. BFG measures tread width while most inlcuding Nitto measure overall width. The BFG KD's have a built in rim protector and they are wide. I ran into a guy at Rockingham that had his Nitto 315's off to run slicks and they looked really narrow compared to mine. I don't use any spacers and I ground down my IRS bolt by one half. It's no big deal. The IRS bolt will only hit the tire when the body is lifted with the suspension hanging. My buddy just put the same wheels on his 03 Cobra but he bought a set of 315 Sumitumo's because he only gets about 800 miles out of a set of tires. These tires are pretty wide. They look pretty close to my KD's. His only problem is his 03 is so low he rubs on the fender a little. He's either going to get his fenders rolled or raise it back up some.

Your right about the nittos being narrow. I just got some black deep dish bullits on my car and the 275 35 18 kumho that ive got on the front is roughly an inch wider than the 275 nitto drags I did have out back.

for you guys that run the wide rears.. do you use them for racing or street? i'm looking to go 10.5 in the back but also want a reliable year-round street tire if possible. any suggestions?

Jpjr said:
for you guys that run the wide rears.. do you use them for racing or street? i'm looking to go 10.5 in the back but also want a reliable year-round street tire if possible. any suggestions?
BFG KD or KDW (295)
Michelin Pilots (up to 335)
Goodyear GS-D3s (315)

Id recommend the Goodyears. They are proven to be one of, if not the best all around Tire