Wierd Cooling Issue

clockett

Sep 30, 2020
Vail, az
I have a wierd cooling issue on a 2000 mustang get. When I go uphill (even slightly), the coolant temp immediately rises to 200 degrees. When I go downhill (even slightly), coolant immediately goes down to 180 degrees. When driving level, the temp stays at 180. The car has a new 2-core aluminum radiator, new Edelbrock high flow water pump, new 180 thermostat and new ect sensor. I am using an Aeroforce obd gauge to monitor the coolant temps. No bubbles in radiator, no oil in coolant and engine oil is not milky. I also did a combustion leak test to check for a blown head gasket and the test was negative. I did a pressure test of the cooling system, and no leaks were found.

Any other things to check?

• Sponsors (?)

I have a wierd cooling issue on a 2000 mustang get. When I go uphill (even slightly), the coolant temp immediately rises to 200 degrees. When I go downhill (even slightly), coolant immediately goes down to 180 degrees. When driving level, the temp stays at 180. The car has a new 2-core aluminum radiator, new Edelbrock high flow water pump, new 180 thermostat and new ect sensor. I am using an Aeroforce obd gauge to monitor the coolant temps. No bubbles in radiator, no oil in coolant and engine oil is not milky. I also did a combustion leak test to check for a blown head gasket and the test was negative. I did a pressure test of the cooling system, and no leaks were found.

Any other things to check?

You have air in the system.

What is the best way to remove the air? I followed the Ford procedure.

If you are referring to the procedure for jacking the car to burp it all out, then I won't bother looking it up again. LoL

That is the best procedure. Try performing it again and ensure you're jacking the correct corner (I don't recall which one it was from memory). An alternative would be to pressurize the system (if you possess these tools) and burping it at or near the sensor.

I played with these issues on a Fox and it was a matter of "rinse and repeat" until I got it all.