Wierd noises

90RanGer

Apr 1, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
Okay guys my car seems louder then it should be, and my dad was finally the one that really noticed it since I never dont have my music on hah. Anyways its really hard to describe what the sound is, it sounds like it is coming either from the rear end or the transmission. Its like a zzzzhhhhhh sound that is almost like its bieng amplified by the exhaust. The exhaust is stock and the car has a tri ax shifter. It only makes these sounds when you are driving, if you coast with the car in neutral the sound isn't there. If you are driving and you push the clutch in the sound goes away and the car is completly silent the sounds are complety gone same as when in neutral. Does anyone have an idea of what could be the problem or what I could look for. I crawled under the car today to look for possibly leaking trans fluid or something, but the trans is complety bone dry, there only seems to be an oil build up towards the rear. The only thing I can think of is the differential doesnt have enough oil in it, but I would think the sound would be all the time and not just when the car is in gear? Any ideas or suggestions are appricated.

• Sponsors (?)

u have gears? that sounds like gear noise from the diff housing. if u have aftermarket gears, that is something u will have to live with. if they are stock gears, try putting in more lube into the housing and see if that is the problem. if that is not the problem, it could be that your gears need to be shimmed? it would be weird if your stock gears need to be shimmed!