will 18 x 9's fit up front on a 67 stang

jae902

Feb 11, 2003
With the correct backspacing, will 18.9's fit up front with no flaring of the fenders. The wheels i want only have 18x9's up front, i need to know if they will fit under the original fender. I plan on lowering it alot too. Anyone got pics of this?

• Sponsors (?)

jae902 said:
With the correct backspacing, will 18.9's fit up front with no flaring of the fenders. The wheels i want only have 18x9's up front, i need to know if they will fit under the original fender. I plan on lowering it alot too. Anyone got pics of this?

I've got 17x8's on the front of my '68 and they barely fit. I achieved proper backspacing by using 1" wheel adapters. On the inside there's less than 1/4" clearance from the upper control arm and on the outside it clears the fender by about 1/4". I'm going to lower the front end by another inch and I know there's room to do so, but it's tight.

You'd probably have to flare the fenders a little to get a 9" wheel to fit up front.

You can see pics at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/598855

I did get 18x9s to fir with 6.11 backspacing although some grinding of the UCA was required. Seemed to me just by grinding the outside a little, and the hat on top of the ball joint, it really didn't effect the structure of the UCA much... Thinking of going with coilovers but not sure if they will buy me anymore room or not. The wheel does have full range of motion without hitting anything.

wheels

NO! I have a beautiful set of wheels that size that looked sweet and seemed to be alright with not one but two spacers to clear the control arm and steering link. None needed in rear except to balance the stance from the front. Then I dropped my motor in and the front wheels wont turn a 1/3 without rubbing. Plus, the spacers even with race ready long studs make the bolts weakened due to the spacers. If you get the right offset, the width alone will put the tires outside the fender line. Get something that has a 7 inch width option and you will be fine with no spacers. Good luck!

Dave

sambandit said:
I did get 18x9s to fir with 6.11 backspacing although some grinding of the UCA was required. Seemed to me just by grinding the outside a little, and the hat on top of the ball joint, it really didn't effect the structure of the UCA much... Thinking of going with coilovers but not sure if they will buy me anymore room or not. The wheel does have full range of motion without hitting anything.

Yes!! They will fit, with a little work. Check out the other post in the Talk section from Sambandit. We did it with no spacers and a little grinding on the UCA. They are flush with the wheel well, they do not stick out at all. Just takes a little work.

sambandit said:

You've got me wondering if 18s clear the UCA better than 17s?

6.11 inches of backspacing, unreal. :jaw: