Will 1994 - 1998 seat belts bolt into a 1989?

Fordfreak93

Mustang Master
Mar 12, 2009
Mooresville, NC
Is it possible to put SN95 seat belts into a 1989 Hatchback? I'm not worried about the rear seat belts, I just want to know if I can make the front ones work. Has anyone ever done this? I can get black seat belts way cheaper from the later models than for the Fox body. Let me know if you have any input...

• Sponsors (?)

Not without serious mods.

The ONLY black seatbelts that will direct bolt in up front are 1990 belts. I am unsure if 1979-1983 belts will work so i'll leave those out.

In 1991, the mounting tab was changed. In order to run 1991+ belts, you will need to cut either the body or the seatbelt tab to make them fit. The danger here is if you don't get the angle right, the belt won't lock in an accident.

I bought a set of SN95 belts because they were cheap too...only to find i couldn't use them.

I got lucky and found a totalled 1990 at the boneyard and snagged the black seatbelts for $50!

Was it just the tabs that wouldn't allow you to bolt them up? Could the car or the belts be modified to work? I'm trying to find out exactly what problems I might run into, cause I can't wait around looking for Fox belts anymore.

Correct, there is a 90* tab that helps align the angle of the belt retractor so that in an accident the belt locks.

You can either cut a new slot, or cut the tab off totally. You just gotta really pay attention to your angle of installation.

Check out ebay for fox and sn95 seatbelts and see if you can notice the difference.

I have my old 1988 red belts still. I'll see if i can get a pic of them with the Sn95 belts i bought this weekend

I have sn95 seat belts in my car works great and it locks up to when needed!!! and mustang5l5 is correct you need to mount it at the correct angle so the little mechanism in the belts wont lock up the belts... I had a pretty hard time putting it in but once i got the perfect angle it was all good from there..

Ill see if I can take a pic once i take out my rear quarter panels...

Here ya go.

Red belts are out of my 1988, but they would be the same as your '89. I beleive the SN95 belts are from a 1995, but i don't remember.

Disregard the bolt on the SN95 belts, the clip is holding it in place. If has a hole just like the fox belts.

On the fox belts, you can kinda see a small triangle alignment tab on the top of the belt too. The SN95 belts don't have this.

The pics should explain the obvious difference. My guess is ford moved the alignmet tab further out because it would give the belt more leverage to prevent it from spinning in a crash? :shrug:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC00512.jpg
    DSC00512.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 577
  • DSC00513.jpg
    DSC00513.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 563
attachment.php

attachment.php

Looking at the last pic, you could prob cut the SN95 tab off about 1" out and belt it 90* and make a new alignment tab.

Attachments

• DSC00514.jpg
    DSC00514.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 548
  • DSC00515.jpg
    DSC00515.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 534