Will 285/40/17's fit my factory 17" split 5spokes??

As the subject says.... ?

I have two of these 285/40/17 tires sitting in my garage... Anyone know if I can get these mounted on the stock 17X8 split 5 spokes wheels? I know they fit 17X9's... but will they fit with an inch less width?

Its an odd tire, so Im not sure if anyone here has tried

Thanks
~Joey

• Sponsors (?)

bowens99GT said:
no they will be too big for your rims......the biggest you can put on are 275's.

You shouldn't be putting anything bigger than a 255/45-17 on the stock rims (17 x 8). For the 275/40-17 you need at least a 9 inch rim, and would be better with a 10 inch. 285/40-17 needs a rim 9.5-11 inches wide.

~Stangzorized~ said:
275 = 8" RIM
295 = 9" RIM

That's what I suggest... and anything in between

:lol:

NO! You will not find a SINGLE tire company that makes a 275 that fits on a 8" rim. NOT ONE! That is a dangerous thing to do, and you should not be telling people that is ok. You want to put 285 on a rim 9" is the smallest, but a 9.5 or 10 would be better. Plus the traction lyou get from a big tire on a small rim, is WORSE then a proper size tire on a proper rim. You get buldging in the tire, which means you don't a perfectly flat surface meeting the street. Think of what would happen if you tire went bad on you when you are doing 80mph, or 50 into a turn??????

PLUS a lot of people think it is the tire that creates that nice "fat tire" look, but really a 275 on a 8" or a 245 on an 8" rim will look about the same. I have 275s on the back, and 245s on the front, they both look like the same tire, because they are both on the same size rims (9"). Put a 285 on an 10" it will look better then on a 9"

chef_333 said:
PLUS a lot of people think it is the tire that creates that nice "fat tire" look, but really a 275 on a 8" or a 245 on an 8" rim will look about the same. I have 275s on the back, and 245s on the front, they both look like the same tire, because they are both on the same size rims (9").

:lol:

Are you smoking crack? Put your 245s next to your 275s when they are off your car, the 275s are about 1" - 1.5" wider. Ive been running 275s on 8" rims for years, and so have my friends w/NO ISSUES whatsover. IMO I like the "bulging" look.

chef_333 is right. If it was alright to put a 275 on an 8" rim, the manufacturer would recommend it. They've obviously done testing on the effects of wide tires being mounted on narrow rims, and found it to be unsafe. If you don't believe me, go to any BIG NAME tire shop and ask them this question. Most of them won't even mount the tire for you since it would be a liability. The rim width range for each tire size that a manufacturer publishes is correct. You will always get the best ride, longest treadlife, and best traction if you mount the tire on a rim that's right in the middle of the recommended range. Personally, I think a 275 is pushing the envelope a little too far on an 8" rim, and a 285 would be just plain stupid. But hey, it's not up to me. Good luck! :nice:

the biggest you can safely fit on a 8inch rim is a 265. a 275 is pushing it, but it is not suggested but IT CAN BE DONE. i know ive put my 275 BFG Drag radials on my buddiest 8 inchers and ive put some 275 firestones on a set of 8 inchers for a constumer. I would recoment getting 255s for your 8 inch rims and getting some 9 inch rims for the 275s.

KJ Hoppus said:
the biggest you can safely fit on a 8inch rim is a 265. a 275 is pushing it, but it is not suggested but IT CAN BE DONE. i know ive put my 275 BFG Drag radials on my buddiest 8 inchers and ive put some 275 firestones on a set of 8 inchers for a constumer. I would recoment getting 255s for your 8 inch rims and getting some 9 inch rims for the 275s.

:stupid: Well said.