Will 28x9x14 MT's fit on 65/66 Mustang's?

Anyone run a 28" drag slick on a 65/66 Mustang? My normal tires are 25" for the street. I may can get a good deal on this size tire as i already have 14" wheels to mount them on. Any thoughts or comments...Will it work w/o superhuman effort?

• Sponsors (?)

ga289stocker said:
Anyone run a 28" drag slick on a 65/66 Mustang? My normal tires are 25" for the street. I may can get a good deal on this size tire as i already have 14" wheels to mount them on. Any thoughts or comments...Will it work w/o superhuman effort?

I can't tell you if they would fit or not, but wouldn't a 28" tire bog you down on launch with a 289 and 3.55 gears?

I do know that a 26x9.5x15 (or 14) will fit just fine.

dennis112 said:
I can't tell you if they would fit or not, but wouldn't a 28" tire bog you down on launch with a 289 and 3.55 gears?

I do know that a 26x9.5x15 (or 14) will fit just fine.

Your probably right the good deal bug caught me but thinking about it more it probably would bog pretty bad. I did put a 3.80 trak loc in it but that still would not be enough for 28" tires more than likely. I'll just keep lookin till i find a nice 26" tire deal. I'm going to Hershey w/ pop's in two weeks so maybe I'll find something there.... Thanks dennis...

Hoosier 26X9.0X15 on a 66 Coupe. They fit perfect (better than a 26X10.5X15 ET Street.

I liked my Hoosier's better than the MT's by far, lasted longer and dead ass hooked. I'll see if I can find a pic and post it.

I just bought a brand new set of them, mounted on my 15X8 Weld draglites ready to go. Screw them in on the bead both sides, mine turned on the rim @ 12 PSI and got out of balance. After you have your holes drilled and have them mounted, screw them in and then have them balance them, then your good.

I also just bought Weld Draglite 15X3.5 and put Hoosier 25.0X3.5X15's. They are a whole lot lighter than my old MT sportsman I was running up front on bigger draglites (6.0")

washMO66 said:
Hoosier 26X9.0X15 on a 66 Coupe. They fit perfect (better than a 26X10.5X15 ET Street.

I liked my Hoosier's better than the MT's by far, lasted longer and dead ass hooked. I'll see if I can find a pic and post it.

I just bought a brand new set of them, mounted on my 15X8 Weld draglites ready to go. Screw them in on the bead both sides, mine turned on the rim @ 12 PSI and got out of balance. After you have your holes drilled and have them mounted, screw them in and then have them balance them, then your good.

I also just bought Weld Draglite 15X3.5 and put Hoosier 25.0X3.5X15's. They are a whole lot lighter than my old MT sportsman I was running up front on bigger draglites (6.0")

Yeah i'd love to see a pic w/ the hoosier's if you can find one...

ga289stocker said:
Yeah i'd love to see a pic w/ the hoosier's if you can find one...

Here is two from 2005 WFC8

View attachment 439360

View attachment 439362

I don't have any other close ups but if I was you I would stick with a 26" tire. I don't think a 28" will tuck up under there. I am going to run a 3:70 gear to start with so I can determine how loose my converter is but I am fairly certain to get my car into the high 10's NA I will need a 4:11 gear.

Great pics WashMO66!! Nice launch:nice:

David,
With the 289 and 3.80 gears I would stick with a 26 inch tire as well. I still think you can get your 60 foots down a few tenths pretty easily with the small drag radials.

washMO66 said:

I too had my Hoosiers turn on the rim with 20lbs and 3 passes. Now they are screwed and I am slowly dropping the pressures trying to find traction. I have a tube in them because these tires are more porous and I don't want to find the car sitting on the rims after a week or 2 of downtime.

Here is a pic of my 26x9.5x15 GTP's DOT's after they first spun. The tape arrow is where the valve stem was mounted. Man, do they grab!:D

Hoosier2.jpg

I am not a fan of the big billboard Hoosier name on the sides so I used a little lacquer thinner and elbow grease to remove them.

As you can see on the tire on the right, too much air.

Vinyl66 said:
Great pics WashMO66!! Nice launch:nice:

David,
With the 289 and 3.80 gears I would stick with a 26 inch tire as well. I still think you can get your 60 foots down a few tenths pretty easily with the small drag radials.

I for sure agree , I gotta believe the bfg's will go better than my 2.26 60' so far, just need some more practice. We will see soon enough though....only 2 more days!!!!

Thanks washMO66 and dennis for the pic's....

ga289stocker said:
I for sure agree , I gotta believe the bfg's will go better than my 2.26 60' so far, just need some more practice. We will see soon enough though....only 2 more days!!!!

Thanks washMO66 and dennis for the pic's....

I can hit 1.8 60 foot on my street tires. That was with my old 245-60-14's. I haven't had a chance to run with my new 295-50-15's. The track's been closed for most of the summer:mad: .

After reading the responses nobody said if they would fit; I would like to know if they'd fit or not :shrug: . I'd prefer the 29x11.5x15 tire, but think I'd be pushing my luck w/fitament. Will the 28x11.5x15 fit or do I need to 'massage' body panels?

67Dylan said:
WashMO66, car looks REALLY good on launch. What are you using for rear suspension? Does the car have a slight lean or is it me?

It had a slight lean when it launched, never stayed that way and with my new 10 point going in (it had a 6 point then) it will be stiffer

I am using no traction aids, just 5 leaf reverse eye's, rear sway bar and cheap shocks. That pic was taken two years ago and I was launching at low RPM off of the footbrake with a 2500 stall (3K launch). I was netting 1.59' short times then, now with my new stall (3500-3800) and the transbrake / 2 step it may not cooporate as well, I have more cam and carb in it now as well. I'll footbrake it the first time to see how it does. In the previous set up it never wheel hopped and had dead consistant 60'

I may end up going to a cal track or ladder bar or maybe even a 4 link depending how the new set up works.

The MT 28x9's will fit. You will need a 14x7 with 4.5 backspace for the 65-66 body. Ive ran them before on a a few differnet coupes with little clearnce problems. Better to use the 28x9 on a 15x7 rim or 15x8 rim on a good rear suspension. I drive/race my 65 on a 28x11.50 etstreet/15x8 weld rim with very minor fender lip massaging, no rolling. The only concern will be if you car can mph over 125, then you need to watch the for tire rub at the front of the wheel well by the rocker moulding.