WILL '65 289 HEADS FIT MY '84 302???

• Sponsors (?)

they wont work if you want to keep the intake with the larger water holes(80 up?) on these intakes the water port is really close to the bolts on the corners. on those heads the 4 corner bolts are exposed to the open.

I think they will work, if you look at a set of gaskets for the early heads, or a Felpro set that fits them all, I believe there is the extra gasket material to seal both types of heads, you have to cut it out for one.

Note that the rocker mounting system is probably different also.

how about the water ports on the mating surface of the heads. i was given c60e heads and a 69 302 block. the heads have 4 extra water ports that are about 1 inch long and a little less than 1/4 inch wide above each chamber and are on the intake side of the head. the 302 block doesn't have this. can i just bolt it up or does the block need machining. i have been told that i didn't have to do anything else, anybody know

Hell yes they work!! use the early intake gasket set to match up the water ports on the ends of the heads... and they will match the intake manifold ports also... There will need to have 4 steam holes drilled in the heads.. head gasket as template and a electric drill takes care of that ( the water ports are off on a 289/5.0 interchange)... bolt on HP thru compression ( 54 CC's to 62 CC's) the flow will be pretty much the same... and your rocking!! BUT!! As stated above.. the 289's need hard exhaust seats and guides for the unleaded gas of today!! cool??

Just me......................

Thumper