Will a 67 deluxe hood fit on a 66?

• Sponsors (?)

When you say deluxe hood, do you mean the 67-68 turn signal hood with the recessed louvers?

I always really liked that hood too. I wish one of the reproduction companies would make a 65-66 hood with those on it.

Hoods between 65-66 and 67-68 are not interchangable.

The front corners of the hood are shaped differently where they meet up to the headlight buckets too. I don't know for sure, but I think they are wider and longer.

You could always get a repop hood and the necessary parts and make your own, or have a shop do it. I have been considering this option. I think it would be cool, because no one else has it. At cruise night or car shows the Mustang guys would be looking at it thinking what the hell? LOL.... :)

I've got some welding experience, but I'm not sure I would even know how to section the two hoods together. Maybe cut a boarder around each of the two scoops and transfer the two over to the 66 hood. Sounds like you might have thought about this more than I have though.

Welding Hoods

I have both welding and body experience and would not recommend it. Heat distortion on this thin of metal is common. Any boo-boos are quite noticeable from front seat position. They are hard enough to repair without applying heat.
But I agree, the recessed 67-68 hood with vented are neat looking.
If you must try it, recommend a salvage hood to learn how to do it as you will surely screw up the first time. (On long flat panels, distortion is common when just using a grinder or air file.)

Combining a 65 and 67 steell hoods would be a nightmare. The 65 has no center peak, the 67 does. The contours are close enough, but the framing underneath is entirely different. It would probably be easier to make a fiberglass hood with the 67 inserts.

I think 2+2 makes a good point. It would probably be best if a 65-66 hood with turnsignal vents was custom made, fiberglass would be a better way to go. I wish an aftermarket one was available in steel. I'd buy it.

20170130_144016.jpg
so this can be done takes two hoods and a little love to make it fit

Attachments

• 20170130_144002.jpg
    20170130_144002.jpg
    356.6 KB · Views: 228
  • 20170130_144016.jpg
    20170130_144016.jpg
    311 KB · Views: 289