Will a 95 crown vic 4.6 work in a 96 gt?

Jacob_Royer

Nov 24, 2007
A friend is selling a running 95 crowm vic 4.6 for $50 im wanting to buy it and build it to swap into the mustang. Will this 4.6 work? is there any diffrences i should know about? The plan is eaither a PI head FI build or a NA Trickflow head build.

• Sponsors (?)

This car is a daily driver with over 200k and gets 700+ miles a week on it. I would like to keep mileage and reliabilty somwhere in the realm of reasonable. I get 25/27mpg as it is. I would like to get up around 300hp i drove a mach1 the other day and would be very happy with that kind of performance. Can 300hp be achieved with PI heads NA? or Is trick flow the way to go? Or what about these 5.0 stroker kits? single turbo?

Yes 300hp na is acheivable with p.i. heads. With the added compression from the head swap, bigger cams, longtubes and bolt ons you should be very close to 300hp. Do ported heads or trickflows and 300 will be surpassed easily. This combo will make good power and will run 11s with a driveer and 5 speed in the 1320.

Well i dont plan on keeping the heads... but what about this block strength isue? is it going to be a problem with an NA build? should i just forget about this engine and find somthing else? seems like a steal to me.

So freshened up npi short block with PI heads Intake and aftermarket cams + Longtube headers would get me close mach1 performance and keep the mpg's reasonable?

I have:

PI intake
JLT CAI
Mac U/D pullies
Motorsport Shorty Headers
Magnaflow OR X-pipe
Flowmaster American Thunder Catback
3.27's
King Cobra Clutch
Steeda Quadrant/cable/firewall adjuster
American Muscle Short Throw Shifter

I wouldnt mind ditching the shorty headers while the motor is out! i keep blowing the collector gaset! (about once a year) royal pita to replace! plus my xpipe has a pinhole in it. (i can weld it and few months later it leaks again) so the headers and X pipe need replaced anyway. I will need PI heads though and ?? cams? whats a good grind with my setup? and with running pi heads on a NPI motor? also would a tune be a good idea at this point?

You would need a tune just doing a PI swap regardless of cams, but to answer would definitly get a dyno tune from a reputible shop. You should see more then 300hp n/a with all the LTs H/C/I tune etc. Good luck to ya