Will a catback help me gain low end?

svtpower

Apr 30, 2005
Wisconsin
I want to help this DOHC to feel more like my old 5.0 in terms of punching it from a dead stop. Gears are on the list but are down the road alittle money wise. I am seriously considering Steeda pulleys and or a Magnaflow catback. Only have cash for 1 right now...

Will the catback make me lose any low end torque?
Will I gain any low end torque?

All I want is low end power. I'm just alittle worried because I had an xpipe on my 99 GT for 3 days. I hated it because it robbed me of my low end so I took it off. Catching rubber in 2nd was a real chore after I put that on.

Any thoughts?

• Sponsors (?)

Most will say it won't help you much, but I can testify I saw a huge difference, especially in 1st gear. Second is still a little sluggish, but better than with the stock exhaust. I don't think you really risk losing low end unless you rid of the back pressure from the stock H-pipe with cats. Everyone swears that gears are the best upgrade. For the price a CAI is the #1 upgrade for a quick 10hp. I plan to go to 3.73 gears next winter.
Gunfighter said:
absolutely. Cat back for growl, gears for go!

something relatively restrictive should save on some back pressure loss. I noticed it with my offroad h, but like above 4:10's make a world of difference. I can probably spin my 295's starting off in second, if I wanted to.

without gears your dohc will never feel like ur 5.0, completely different design. One built for off the line torque and one built for high revving speed...gears are your only option, and no a cai will not net you 10hp, just drop in a k&n and you will nearly get everything excpet the looks of a cai.