Will a center console from a 03 Cobra fit my 96?

O.D. Showtime

Founding Member
Mar 31, 2002
Will the new style center consoles that I see equipped on the 03's fit a 96 Cobra? I want the new style center console for many reasons, including the e-brake location. My current center console does not line up correctly with the ebrake handle and it's cracking the center console. Does anyone know, and what are some prices?

• Sponsors (?)

I would think that they would. It is the same interior. I will be putting the pre '01 dash plate in my '03 so I can mount a better radio and changer in the dash. It will take a bit of modification for my job. Different switch placement for the traction control, fogs and rear defroster. Yours may be easier.

:flag: :nice:

the 98's have cup holders and it looks exactly the same as a 96,97. but you would lose the one thats in the center glove box. But not to sure about any year after that. As far as the e-brake my 96 did that also and it eneded up being that the e-brake lever was loose not the console that was messed up.

Don't bother with a '98 console for the cupholders either, they suck.

The front one is too close to the shifter for a medium restaurant Coke (a beer can is a nice fit though :shrug: ), the rear one is too shallow for anything except loose change.

I had thought of that after and that is very true its a pain the @ss to shift and if you put it in the rear one and take a corner you have it all over your lap. I miss the one that was in the center console that flipped out. If this works for ya post some pics and let me know how it turns out. I have thought about buying the 96 one just so i had the ashtray agian not that i smoke it just was more useful then the cup holders. The only problem with the 96 is there is only one. Has anyone used the "Plug and Chug " I believe is what it is called that plugs into the ashtray. Texas mustang sells them. Just curios

I have a "plug & chug" and it works OK but it also is close to the shifter and can be in the way in the front position. Sounds like the cupholders on the newer consoles aren't perfect either. I was wondering if the newer model console might solve the problem but sounds like it might not. Appreciate the chatter about the issue.

The 98 center console has cup holders instead of the flip ashtray!

If you have a pro 5.0 shifter / handle, you can put as big a drink in the front holder as you wish.

Also, go to Starbucks....get a couple of the coffee covers that they put on to keep you from burning yourself. These work great to help balance drinks in the cup holders themselves.

Good luck...EJ

The main reason as to why I want the newer style center console is because of the fact that my ebrake scrapes the side of the center console when the ebrake handle is up all the way. This is digging into my center console and ruining it. Not only that, but the little piece of rubber between the center console and the ebrake handle (the piece that basically fills in the gap so nothing falls down into the center console) is ripping. I've already had my center console off several times to replace the rubber piece. I really don't care about the cup holders, in fact, I'd rather have the ash tray because I bought a switch plate from a mustang site (forget what site) that replaces the ash tray with a metal piece of aluminum with four switches on it. You can hook anything up to the switches (line lock switch, nitrous, anything really). It's really handy. But anyways, my main concern was as to whether or not the ebrake handle from newer center consoles will be easy to install since it's located in a different spot. My ebrake handle is in the center of my center console, and that's where the ebrake assembly bolts to the floor pan. I believe, from what I've seen in pictures a while ago, that the newer style center console locates the ebrake more towards the passenger side. And it also has an ebrake boot (much like a shifter boot) instead of a stupid strip of rubber. Does anyone know if the new center console is adaptable?