Will a pickle fork really remove tie rod ends?

WhiteFizzo

Founding Member
May 17, 2000
Virginia Beach Va
I have been outside all day trying to install a set of FMS B springs on my 93 hatchback. Rears went without incident. I get to the front and I cannot get the tie rod end to come loose. Can someone explain to me in detail how to use a pickel fork to get it loose. I'm sure the answer is "put the fork in there and hit it with a hammer". Should I spend the 50 bucks to buy a tie rod end puller?? :shrug:

Ike

• Sponsors (?)

take that sledge, and hit the top of the threded part of the tie rod. CAUTION: this is the wrong way, but is the quickest (at least i think so). make sure to put the nut up level with the end of the threads to protect them. dont put it over the top or you will, again dmage the threads.

take a bfh and hit the side of the spindle where the tie rod goes in.it won't damage the tie rod or the grease boot.pickle forks usually tear the boots up and hitting the top ruins the threads.

I have used a pitman arm puller, though I dont recall if that was used on the stang.

Sometimes turning the wheels a little unloads the Tie rod shank a little.

I have used a PF, hammer on a shank (which is against the shank on the Tie rod) and the pitman puller. Normally one works when others dont so I try the others if one does not work.

Good luck.

Just smack the spindle where the tie rod goes through as stated above, and it will drop right out, just leave the nut on loose so it does not fall out all the way.

WHY ARE YOU REMOVING THE TIE RODS TO INSTALL SPRINGS??? You do not have to do this, just take the nut off the top of the end links. If you have decided to replace your tie rods then just hit the spindle with a 4 lb sledge. Do this several times at all angles around the tie rod. The tie rod will drop out. The pickle fork is to remove the spindle from the balljoint. Do not hit the top of the tie rod with the hammer b/c you will mushroom the threads.

As you can see, we all have different experiences. Ratrapp and I have seen the same thing - grease boots getting eaten as the pickle fork rips through.

The Ford service manual for my 79 Capri has the tie rod end removal procedure as this: Jack it, etc
Loosen the nut on the tie rod end until it is flush with the end of the stud.
Then take a hammer, up to a small sledge, and hit the tie rod stud and it should pop loose.

That seems to work most of the time.

Other times, use the pickle fork. It will most likely rip the tie rod boots, but you can buy new ones at the parts store.

The ball joints will most likely have to have the pickle fork.

The tie rod puller is the last tool I try.