Will an aftermarket shifter cause warranty problems?

GTRookie

Dec 6, 2004
I just bought a used 2004 GT (5speed) and want to throw an aftermarket shifter in but I'm concerned about voiding the warranty. The thread about transmission problems is troubling. If my trans starts acting up will Ford blame it on the shifter? I looked at the warranty but its not clear what their response would be. Hopefully I'm just being paranoid, but you never know...

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

It shouldn't, but it really depends on the dealer and how anal they want to be about everything needing to be untouched.

I took my car in to have the throw out bearing replaced, and still had my Tri-Ax installed and didn't have any trouble or comments about it.

If your transmission started to go ... I'm sure it might be questionable, but your '04 shouldn't have any problems.

Just be careful, like Tylerb59 said, it the transmission has problems and needs to be replaced you know most dealers will try to play it off as being caused somehow by you putting in a non stock shifter.

Of course a new shifter is next on my list of mods :D
If I start having tranny problems I'll stick the stock one back on and then take it to the dealer :nice:

Just as a heads up here is what Tremec has to say about using aftermarket shifters with shift stops (which they all have)

Tremec Transmissions
Service Bulletin 03.01

Subject:
Aftermarket Shifter Stops

Transmission Models Affected:
All

Severe damage may be caused by installing an aftermarket shifter with "shift stops" on any TREMEC transmission. All TREMEC transmissions are designed and manufactured with built-in shift stops to prevent over shifting. Therefore; shift stops on aftermarket shifters are totally unnecessary when used on a TREMEC transmission. TREMEC "TR series" transmissions have multiple shift rails with shift stops on the gearing. TREMEC "T series" transmissions have a single shift rail system with stops built into the guide plate.

When installing an aftermarket shifter on a TREMEC transmission it is best to remove the shift stops to avoid miss adjustment, and the potential of the screws vibrating lose. A misadjusted shift stop can cause an under-shift, which may lead to a gear jump-out situation. If the transmission jumps out of gear, the shift fork can be bent causing permanent damage to the transmission. Shift forks can also be damaged by "clash shifting". A clash is caused by a missed shift.

Neither an "under-shift", nor a "clash shift" can be prevented by shift stops. TREMEC shift forks are designed to take loads up to 1,000 lbs. However, a gear jump-out may well exceed 1,000 lbs. of force, which may result in a permanently damaged transmission.

ok here is what you do, buy a aftermarket shifter because its worth it, and if someday you have a problem with your trans you just remove it and put the stock one back on before you take it into the dealership. they will never know.

BadMoFo said:
ok here is what you do, buy a aftermarket shifter because its worth it, and if someday you have a problem with your trans you just remove it and put the stock one back on before you take it into the dealership. they will never know.
EXACTLY!! This is what I did. I have a Steeda TriAx. Blew out my third gear synchro. Put the stock shifter back on...dealer gave me no hassle and fixed my transmission under warranty.

Thanks for the repsonses

Thanks for the responses, Blue70's in particular. The Tremec service bulletin's point about the "shift stops" is contrary to the ads for the shifters that make a big selling point about the shift stops. I've read in other threads that one of the main benefits of an aftermarket shifter, other than improving shift quality, is that they have positive stops that prevent damage to the transmission shift forks under hard gear changes.

Anyone follow the Tremec service bulletin and remove the shift stops from their aftermarket shifter. It seems the manufacturer would know what its talking about.

I'm thinking Steeda Tri-Ax but there seems to be a lot of buzz about the MGW shifter . . .

Thanks again

I've had after market shifters on several 3650s and never had a single problem. The key is to follow the directions exactly how they are when setting the stops. I totally agree with hanging onto your stock shifter and if you ever have any problems swapping them out. It's a fifteen minute job -or less once you've done it a couple of times- and can be done in the parking lot. The only thing that might give you away is when you cut the lower rubber housing to make room for the new shifter. You can go to a junk yard or hit 50resto and get one for less than $20.

As for what brand short throw shifter it's really a crap shoot. They are all good and everyone has their own opinion on it. Personally I think the B&M and the Hurst are crappy pieces. I would choose between the Pro 5.0 (which is my favorite as I've used it for years), Steeda Tri-Ax, or the newest one the MGW. My only complaint about the MGW is that it's the latest, greatest but it's only been on the market for a couple of months now. I'd just rather give it a year and see what types of problems they have out of it before I buy it. The only thing that anyone can agree on is that it's night and day difference between stock.

Blue70 said:
Just be careful, like Tylerb59 said, it the transmission has problems and needs to be replaced you know most dealers will try to play it off as being caused somehow by you putting in a non stock shifter.

Of course a new shifter is next on my list of mods :D
If I start having tranny problems I'll stick the stock one back on and then take it to the dealer :nice:

Just as a heads up here is what Tremec has to say about using aftermarket shifters with shift stops (which they all have)

Tremec Transmissions
Service Bulletin 03.01

Subject:
Aftermarket Shifter Stops

Transmission Models Affected:
All

Severe damage may be caused by installing an aftermarket shifter with "shift stops" on any TREMEC transmission. All TREMEC transmissions are designed and manufactured with built-in shift stops to prevent over shifting. Therefore; shift stops on aftermarket shifters are totally unnecessary when used on a TREMEC transmission. TREMEC "TR series" transmissions have multiple shift rails with shift stops on the gearing. TREMEC "T series" transmissions have a single shift rail system with stops built into the guide plate.

When installing an aftermarket shifter on a TREMEC transmission it is best to remove the shift stops to avoid miss adjustment, and the potential of the screws vibrating lose. A misadjusted shift stop can cause an under-shift, which may lead to a gear jump-out situation. If the transmission jumps out of gear, the shift fork can be bent causing permanent damage to the transmission. Shift forks can also be damaged by "clash shifting". A clash is caused by a missed shift.

Neither an "under-shift", nor a "clash shift" can be prevented by shift stops. TREMEC shift forks are designed to take loads up to 1,000 lbs. However, a gear jump-out may well exceed 1,000 lbs. of force, which may result in a permanently damaged transmission.

Did you type this yourself from a real TSB, or is it just something you repeated from a rumor someone started? It is definitely not the way it would be written in the original TSB, if one truly exists. There are a couple of grammar and spelling errors that would not be in a genuine TSB. Reads as if some high school kid wrote it. I say it's BS, no offense to you personally.

cronin49

You can get it straight from the horses mouth in a condensed version if you look at the Tremec page FAQ's

Click Here For Tremec Page

Look under the question "I am installing an aftermarket shifter on my TREMEC. Do you have any suggestions?" you will see The major problem with aftermarket shifters is that they have stops on them. To install them correctly, you will have to remove the stops completely. Our transmissions are built with internal stops.

Just FYI
I did not type it, I cut and pasted.

I was looking for the 3650 TSB and came across a site that had all the Mustang related TSBs and this one was on the same page.

Trying to search to find it again, I did not find the exact page, but I did find it again at this page

Page 1