Suspension Will different shocks lower my car further? ('79)

Mikesbaron

Jun 1, 2019
WA
I have a 1979 that has aftermarket springs from previous owner, it's about 1.5 inches lower than stock. I would like to replace the shocks but don't want them to make my car ride higher, if anything I would like it to ride lower.

I've been reading on different shocks (non coil-overs) and some are claiming their replacement shocks actually highered their cars a bit; how could a shock (which is essentially a damper) raise a car? I understood that it's the spring that holds the car at its ride height and the shock is nothing more than a damper for compression and extension of the spring. Can someone clarify this?

• Sponsors (?)

Shocks shouldn't change the height of the car.
As for lower? 1.5 inches is plenty, any more that starts to throw the geometry way out of whack.
You would hurt handling and ride quality.

Since the car is lowered, use quality and performance shocks and struts.

I have a 1979 that has aftermarket springs from previous owner, it's about 1.5 inches lower than stock. I would like to replace the shocks but don't want them to make my car ride higher, if anything I would like it to ride lower.

I've been reading on different shocks (non coil-overs) and some are claiming their replacement shocks actually highered their cars a bit; how could a shock (which is essentially a damper) raise a car? I understood that it's the spring that holds the car at its ride height and the shock is nothing more than a damper for compression and extension of the spring. Can someone clarify this?

I can clarify for a fact..."highered" is not a word.

I don't know how the roads are in Utah but if you want to go lower than what you have I would suggest you sit at a popular street corner and wait for a extremely lowered (slammed is the term I believe) car and follow it around, after watching what they have to do to maneuver pot holes, manhole covers and entering and exiting driveways and parking lots I think you will stick with the ride height you have.
not to mention the spinal injury and undercarriage damage.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user