Will I pass Cally emissions with low-compression crank/rods/pistons?

Ghost001

Dec 9, 2002
California
Hello,

When my stock engine goes, I'm going to get a forged 4.6 L short block. My question is, if I get low-compression crank/rods/pistons, like KB recommends (about 8.0:1 or 8.5:1), will I pass California emissions?

Oh, and I'll probably have a KB 1.7 L, or maybe a roots blower. I wish I could get the KB 2.2 L. Maybe if I keep wishing it will come true.

By the way, will VT Engines build me a low-compression 4.6 L forged short block? How much would it cost? I know that they sell the 4.6 L forged short block, but I was wondering if they also sell it with low-compression crank/rods/pistons.

• Sponsors (?)

if you have your stock mid pipe on, you should pass just fine.

and call VT themselves and get a quote, don't ask on stangnet. you'll get a better, more accurate number if you go directly to the source.

FWIW, a forged motor + blower combo tends to run about 10,000 dollars, installed/tuned.

Beau said:
if you have your stock mid pipe on, you should pass just fine.

and call VT themselves and get a quote, don't ask on stangnet. you'll get a better, more accurate number if you go directly to the source.

FWIW, a forged motor + blower combo tends to run about 10,000 dollars, installed/tuned.

Thanks, Beau!

Yeah, I'm gonna get the blower first, and then, hopefully in the very distant future, my engine will die, and then I'll get the forged short block.

its all about the tune, remember that. Cali gas sucks, stock internals aren't that great, and a bad tune, i.e. one that's too aggressive, will blow your motor sky high.

Beau said:
its all about the tune, remember that. Cali gas sucks, stock internals aren't that great, and a bad tune, i.e. one that's too aggressive, will blow your motor sky high.

Yep. If I get the 1.7, then I'll probably just go with the KB tune, because my Stang is bone stock, and I hear that the KB tune is very safe, as long as the Stang is bone stock before the KB is installed.

Do you happen to know of anyone in the L.A. area who is good at tuning KB 1.7 and/or 2.2? Chicane? XMP? Swanson?

Swanson has a good rep. steer clear of XMP, i've heard too many bad things about them. I've never heard anyone have issues with Chicane, but then again I've never heard anyone say they are good. IMHO, have DPR tune it, www.dprsocal.com They are down here in san diego but Shawn is a good tuner.

Beau said:
Swanson has a good rep. steer clear of XMP, i've heard too many bad things about them. I've never heard anyone have issues with Chicane, but then again I've never heard anyone say they are good. IMHO, have DPR tune it, www.dprsocal.com They are down here in san diego but Shawn is a good tuner.

Thanks, Beau.

I'm writing all of this down in my Stang notebook.

Ghost001 said:

Do you happen to know of anyone in the L.A. area who is good at tuning KB 1.7 and/or 2.2? Chicane? XMP? Swanson?

I highly recommend Chicane for the install. They did all of the mechanical work on my car. We are pulling the Saleen S-IV off and putting a K-B on in about 10-days.

One of the main reasons I continue to go to Chicane is the amount of effort they put into the even the smallest details......the attention is second to none. As a matter of fact I just dropped off the part boxes for my K-B install and stayed till 8pm to watch them work thier fab magic on a Vortech'ed SN95.

I'm a frequent visitor to the shop and could tell you more stories than you would care to hear of how Joe went above and beyond the call of duty to make a job just that much more better.

Additionally, Chicane had yet another OverHaulin' car in there for post show massaging (67/8 Shelby clone, hand control car). The show doesn't send the cars over to Swanson, XMP, GRC, XTC, etc. al.

Hop

EDIT: If you want to dynotune it, go to see Steve at Powertrain Dynamics in Huntington Beach. He's busy all the time (for obvious reaons) but well worth the wait.