Will smog pump delete hurt cats?

Boosted Stang

Jun 27, 2006
I have an 88 supercharged mustang. Its been on the burner for about three years (money and college) and its time to get it running again, but smog legal this time around. I heard that without the air pump you can ruin your cats. Anyone confirm or deny this? and what are my chances of passing inspection without the smog equipment (assuming they dont visually check for it) in New Jersey...( they put it on rollers to check emissions here. Thanks for any help!

88 gt vert
paxton novi 1000 singe belt 9 psi
corba intake
65 mm throt bod
24 lb inj. and maf
stock heads and cam
shorties and a mac x pipe with cats in the mail.
85,000 miles

• Sponsors (?)

Yes, if there is no thermator air system (smog pump), the cats will clog . The air provided by the smog pump helps make the catalytic reaction happen. No air and the catalytic reaction doesn't work well and the cats will coke up or clog.

There are cat converters that don't need a smog pump, but none of them are CARB or EPA certified for use in the 5.0 Mustangs.

^^^I agree^^^

If the MAC mid pipe has an inlet for the air system then you should stick with the air pump. If there is no inlet for fresh air from the pump then you should be ok without the pump.

The fresh air improves the efficiency of the cats while extending their life.

I doubt you would pass without the cats and egr.

jason