Will the T5 from a 5.o work in the 2.3 turbo?

Bob Byrd

Nov 16, 2002
Outerbanks, NC
My present WC t5 dosen!t want to go in 1st unless the car is almost completely at a dead stop. Other than that it works great. Have located a WC t5 from a 5.0 but unsure if it will work. Seems I heard the imput shaft is different. Any ideals. Bob

• Sponsors (?)

Bob Byrd said:
will it work

no and yes
It won't directly bolt up because the input shaft is too big on the 5.0 trans.
Yes you can use it. Either swap input shafts or....If you're like me and dont want to go into the trans, you can have the shaft machined down. I think there's a bunch of people that have done it on turbo ford and a guy up the road from me has done it.

351wcoupe said:
nahhh.......just use a 9" rear with some 6.13 gears. thats what in the dirt track car. :rlaugh:

probably take an N/A 2.3 and take off spinning in third easy :p
why would you run a T5? the stock 2.3 is geared for your 4-banger...T5 is geared for a V8...it'll take forever for you to get goin...

The ratio's between the gears are very wide in the V-8 T-5's, you will notice a HUGE drop in RPM's. The car will be a dog off the line and through every gear. Plus there is the pilot thing to overcome. Why don't you just buy a syncronizer set and put them in? A syncro set is hardly a reason to trash the tranny, it's a very simple proces to do.

91FiveOhNo said:
why would you run a T5? the stock 2.3 is geared for your 4-banger...T5 is geared for a V8...it'll take forever for you to get goin...

The 2.3 manual transmission was the SAME T5 used in the 5.0 V8's.... Different size input shaft tip, and a couple different ratios.. Their both Borg Warner T5's

mr_woodster said:
If he's is gonna put it on any decent turbo setup, i dont see what the problem is. Title: T5 from a 5.0 work in the 2.3 Turbo.

because in a turbo setup you're going to want the higher gear ratio's in the 2.3 tranny to get the turbo spooled...if you put in the 5.0 tranny...the turbo will never spool

CruzNlife1 said:
The 2.3 manual transmission was the SAME T5 used in the 5.0 V8's.... Different size input shaft tip, and a couple different ratios.. Their both Borg Warner T5's
i don't see how it matters if they are the same or not b/c of the fact that the gears are DIFFERENT...??? if you're running a high hp application (like...maybe hp numbers of...maybe a 5.0) then you should be alright as long as you put in 3.73's or somethin...but you'll still never have the torque to get goin...i say stick with the 4-banger T5.

91FiveOhNo said:
because in a turbo setup you're going to want the higher gear ratio's in the 2.3 tranny to get the turbo spooled...if you put in the 5.0 tranny...the turbo will never spool

Not that it's gonna make a noticable difference, but the wider gears in the V-8 T5 are gonna create more load on the engine, thus causing the turbo to spool earlier....

Anthony

"...if you put in the 5.0 tranny...the turbo will never spool"

Sweet merciful crap, are you that stupid? Have you ever even driven a turbo car? Please, remove your head from your sphincter before you spread any more misinformation.

uhmm he's partially correct... the higher gear ratio from a 5.0 geared T5 will dog the motor because it lacks the torque. in a turbo application you need to stay above 2500rpms at least if you plan on staying in boost (shifting will drop you 500rpms or so, making the boost drop when you hit 2k rpms...) if you put a 2.3 T5 with a set of 3:73's you'll stay in boost all the time and the gear ratio's will work better as well...

case closed...

5.0 T5 = NO
2.3 T5 = NO
Fix existing synchro's: YES

point in fact, Yes the T5 froma 5.0 will work Just fine (if not better) in a TURBO 2.3. The Gear ratio's in a T5 are IMO better matched for a 2.3T than the original t5, beucase a boosted 2.3 has almost the same spects ( in alot of cases more hp/tq) than the 5.0 it came on! Alot of turbo guys have done this swap becuase the 2.3 t5 is too low geard making first and second practically useless with a decent amount of boost and tuning. Not to mention higher hp 2.3t motors wont be able to BREAK (as easily) a 5.0 T5, since they have larger internals to handle the v8's torque. Heres good site someone posted awhile go, awsome for specs on t5's , anyone who thinks differntly can read and weap ..lol jk, but good stuff none the less :)
http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2000/09/t5swap/index2.shtml

mind you im refering to a well perportioned car, with a good matching rear end and normal turbo lag. Even with a laggy first gear (which if setup right would not be a problem) shifting in high rpm's , there wouldnt be any other gear that gives you trouble, figuring even on a 2,000rpm drop from 5500 (where most 2.3's hp curve starts droping,aka time to shift) it would still keep you plenty above spool time @ 2500 rpm. Such things as nitrous or a turbo header would further remove any 1 gear problems. This is just my speculation on this, i have a read a few post about people doing it, havent heard anyone complain.

"uhmm he's partially correct..."

Uhmm no, he's really not. Unless you're short shifting, the *SLIGHTLY* wider ratios in the 5.0 T5 are only going to help. I've driven every kind of T5 made in cars with rearends varying from 3.08, 3.27 and 3.73. You won't bog a 2.3T unless you put 2.73's and a 1.5" banana tip muffler on it.

im not talking about road rage racing... without full boost the turbo doesnt do THAT much to compensate for the gear ratio. meaning at low rpms you will not be generating the torque needed to get moving. i dunno about you but I dont shift my car above 2500 rpms when I'm daily driving...