Will these heads fit on my 1990 mustang?

• Sponsors (?)

well 95-01 is a ridiculous number as 96+ are OHC motors, so no thats not the case. Those are gt40s, off of a mountaineer or explorer. They came off of a nearly identical 302, and will go on yours just fine.

the the ad reads the price is $185.00 per head plus $47.00 for shipping per head thats like close to $500.00 for a set which in my opinion is way to much for non ported stock valve size GT-40 P heads. save your money there are way better deals than that out there.

Reactions: 1 user
well 95-01 is a ridiculous number as 96+ are OHC motors, so no thats not the case. Those are gt40s, off of a mountaineer or explorer. They came off of a nearly identical 302, and will go on yours just fine.

They're actually GT40P heads. A little more compression, revised combustion chamber, smaller valves and a different spark plug location and angle. They're also higher velocity than regular GT40 heads. The GT40P was the best cast iron head that Ford ever made for Windsor engines.

There are a couple of things to know about GT40P heads if he wants to use them on his 1990 Mustang.

The 1990 Mustang has thermactor emissions plumbing which bolts to the back of each head. There is also a port in each head that runs to each exhaust port on the factory E7 heads. This port is missing on the GT40P heads. The thermactor plumbing can't even be bolted to the back of the GT40P head without redrilling the plumbing where it attaches to the head. Even if you get the thermactor plumbing bolted to the head, it won't do anything because the internal port is missing. As long as he doesn't need to do an actual dyno roller emissions test, he should be able to get by with just bolting the plumbing to the back of the head. It will pass a visual inspection if that is required. If he doesn't have any emissions testing in his area then don't worry about the thermactor plumbing.

The other issue is the spark plug angle. The spark plug angle on the GT40P heads put the spark plug wires into contact with the factory Mustang headers and many aftermarket headers. Some people have gotten by with using 90° boots on the spark plug wires. Others have used heat insulators. It is said that there are one or two aftermarket headers that will clear too. The correct solution is simply to use FRPP headers. You can use the factory or any aftermarket wires with them. I found FRPP headers used for $100. I then sold my old MAC headers for $75. Net cost is $25.

These will work, but $500 for a set, no way. You can buy a set of used trick flows for $700. Plus I didn't see if they said they doing anything with the valves springs. These heads are old and should have upgraded once if your using any decent cam.
Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express