Roush Will this affect my Saleen 281?

efinirx7gt

Jul 19, 2004
Hey, I just got a 2003 Saleen 281 non super charged version and have a question. I want to run a stock mustang gt h-pipe with straight pipes will this affect my performance at all? I just saw a video clip of a stang with staights after the stock h and it sounds realy good.

Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

don't know about running straight after the h pipe but the saleens come with borla mufflers. i wouldn't personally want to get rid of them, besides the fact that they're quality mufflers and on the high end of the $$ scale. i know quite a few people who only wish they could afford to buy borlas and put them on their car. you want your mustang to be loud with the borlas all you have to do is get rid of the cats or buy a pipe with high flow cats. i thought the stock exhaust note on mine was too quite, but i know saleen is worried about the doctor who might be driving one, so he leans toward this for "refinement". i personally went out and bought a bassani off road pipe and i'll never forget the sound that came out of my car when i cranked it up. too loud for some but it sounds like a pissed off beast, the only way to go for a stang. since your car is not blown i've been told you may lose a bit of torque with an x-pipe so maybe you want to consider a high performance h pipe.

I went with a UPR o/r x pipe. The 03's come with a magnaflow catback and
a stock catted X pipe. My car sounds wicked with the o/r pipe now. Lose the cats and keep your catback. A 4 cat x-pipe and no mufflers will sound like
ass.
How do you like your 03? I love mine. I'll try and post a vid tommorrow if I can figure it out.

Thanks for the input guys. I live in socal and i also need to pass smog. Hey Mstng2 thats what I want my saleen to sound like any clue on the catback and midpipe?
Also any video clips would be nice. I already went on to mustangexhaust.com but all their videos are just reving.

I would be careful about running an exhaust without cats here in california....Just the other day I saw the CHP pulling ricers over and putting them on a portable roller machine off the side of the freeway to see if they would pass smog emissions. There was even one on a flat bed being towed away!!!!!!!!!! They setup sensions along side the road during heavy stop and go traffic and if your car is throwing off bad measurements, they are pulling you over. I personally have a smog legal bassani x-pipe with high flow cat's with borla XR-1 race mufflers on my speedster and it sounds amazing and passed the smog check in October clean as a whistle!!!! Ask anyone in September at the Saleen Show who has heard my car how they think it sounds. I would be very careful about running around SoCal without cats these days, :notnice: just my two cents worth.

-Robert C-
1997 S351 "R" White Speedster #01
1995 S351 "R" White Coupe #11
1985 Saleen White Hatchback #0140
Charter Member:SaleenClubOfAmerica :flag:
www.saleenclubofamerica.com
www.saleenchat.com

i didn't know they switched to magnaflow...those things are too quite. everyone loves the craftsmanship but hates the sound of those things. if you're in cali. i would highly recommend a pipe with high flow cats. i live in metro atlanta and as of yet, we don't have emmissions testing in this area that i'm in. i still have the stock h pipe for when that day comes... i would have bought the catted bassani pipe if i had the money at the time.

dude, that bullitt sounds ridiculous. how can anyone listen to that legendary mustang sound and not want to go buy a stang and throw some mufflers on there? great video clip, when i bought new rubber for my rear i was going to waste the tires i had on there but didn't have the chance believe it or not. that's the way to go in that video. take the rubber out in style!

if you buy some good mufflers and a solid mid pipe, i don't think it's going to matter too much what brand you buy, the motor will take care of the rest.

Here are the Mods on that Bullit in the burnout video: Exhaust: JBA mid length 1 5/8 headers 2 1/2 all the way out with low restrictive cats, and 2 chamber JBA Evol mufflers. Mods: Steeda pullies & shifter, K&N filter.
:hail2: :nice: :banana: :spot:

That Bullit video was sick! Makes me feel like wasting the Nitto's at lunch! Unfortunately, I'm not quite done with them :nonono: . I find it hard to believe that he only had a set of pulleys and a K&N though. He was getting it pretty good. I'll bet that he has a set of 4.10:1 gears in it at least.

I have a 96 s281 with the MAC o/r pipe and the stock Borla's on it. It is pretty loud when you stand on it, but not much different than stock at highway speeds. I love those muffs! Never heard a set that bark when you're on the gas, yet have no resonance on the hwy. Don't know how they do it, but I think it is the best of both worlds...

Sal