Will this Power Window kit work?

• Sponsors (?)

I've had them in my Mustang for over a year now and they work good. If I had to do it over again, I'd buy the Deluxe motor kit. It has heavy duty motors that are quicker and quiter than the original one. With these heavy windows, the deluxe kit would work great.

I run the electric life power windows in my 65 fastback. Work great. Easy install and the buttons are classy and look great in a mustang interior. I bought them like 2 1/2 yrs ago and Scott Drake no longer carries them. They have their own website I beleive that you can buy them from. Great products and I'd recommended them.

HOLY PURPLE WEBSITE, BATMAN!!! My eyes are burning now. Anyway, I wonder how durable these cable conversions are? I didn't look too closely since my eyes hurt looking at that page, but it looks like the same crappy setup my VW has. The cable decided to snap after 5 years.

There's another kit out there using the scissor-type window frame, but that's over $280 a pair. Is that the Electric-life kit?

Hmm after reading the ebay ad, I see it uses your stock regulator? If your old one is worn I'd just get the other kit that includes a regulator. You know how hard old regulators are, I can't imagine a small motor/cable being much stronger than me.

I had a pair of extra regulators sitting at home and found an old cougar power window setup on ebay that was going for around $800 or so. Saved the pictures and noticed the regulators looked the same, just had a power motor attached in place of the hand crank. So i popped the rivets off that held the hand crank and bought a used pair of window motors from an 80's model mustang. Haven't gotten around to putting the motors on but a little reinforcing steel plate to mount the motor to the regulator and you basically have a $300 electric life setup. I haven't gotten around to attaching the motors yet but the only thing that worries me is clearance between the motor and the window brackets (this is on a 70 by the way). I think i paid $20 for the pair of regulators and $10 for the motors all on ebay so i am not out much if they don't work. There was a website called www.themustangshack.com and a fellow on there basically did the same thing i am trying and did it successfully, unfortunately the website is no longer up :(

What year did they start making power windows for the Cougar? 1970 also?

So does the worm gear on the Fox window motor mesh correctly with the regulator's teeth? Interesting idea.

Can you post the pics you mentioned?

ron67fb said:
What year did they start making power windows for the Cougar? 1970 also?

So does the worm gear on the Fox window motor mesh correctly with the regulator's teeth? Interesting idea.

Can you post the pics you mentioned?

69 was the first year for power window in the coug.

i also would like to see pics, as i'm planning on doing power windows myself

all new fords use the cable type setup. they seem to work well, although my 2002 explorer passenger window cable broke and when i tried to check it out, it was totally confusing. so i had to pay 300 dollars at ford to fix it. but these spal kits look good and the idea is real simple. seems like theyd be easy to install.

A-1 Power Windows

I have had the A-1 window kit in my 67 for three years. Have had no problems. Was a good deal for $260 when I bought new. I think they have a rear window kit also.

What I'm wondering is, I just bid on one of these SPAL's on ebay and I want to know if they will work with a tough window. Let me explain, first of all I replaced both front regulators and the drivers side works great, but the passengers side is really tough to roll up, but the regulator was nice and smooth before I installed it, I figure just a tight window gasket or something, but will these bring the weight of a tight gasket or something like this. I know a little off topic, but it kinda relates.

the spal works great

i love them.....i have a little bit of chatter going down in the drivers side, but i am blaming the tracks and felts until proven otherwise because the other work fine :nice:

the only thing you have to watch out for is that you don't make the radius too tight on the cabling............ :nono:

i bought mine here

http://www.commandocaralarms.com/power-window-kit.asp

but was able to buy a replacement "transmission" from spal themselves for 40 bucks after i lkearned the lesson about the radius :fuss:

http://www.spal.com/automotive/english/aftermkt_alzacristalli.htm

the pic shows the new location of the motor,.....the extra bracket shows the old position......notice how i had to go to all that extra effort to COMPLETELY take apart the mirror adjuster to make it fit the bracket :bang: and i also had to scrape plastic out of the motor assembly in order to not have it rub on the mirror adjuster :bang: :bang:

after 5 years, i am used to doing things like this at least twice :damnit:

a DID by the heavy duty motor kit like myway said :nice: it also has an internal power limit switch that stops the motor when the window reaches it's up or down position

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=8018890&uid=3200195&members=1