Wilwood vs. SSBC

se7en-zero

May 20, 2003
Does anyone have a Wilwood Front disc brake kit on there older stang?
I am looking to convert my 70 to disc but I need to know HOW COMPLETE IS THE KIT?!? I have bought to many "Everything you need" kits and had to spend another $XXX.XX on parts to make it work..
With Wilwood or SSBC do you really get EVERYTHING you need???
Which kit is more complete??

• Sponsors (?)

se7en-zero said:
Does anyone have a Wilwood Front disc brake kit on there older stang?
I am looking to convert my 70 to disc but I need to know HOW COMPLETE IS THE KIT?!? I have bought to many "Everything you need" kits and had to spend another $XXX.XX on parts to make it work..
With Wilwood or SSBC do you really get EVERYTHING you need???
Which kit is more complete??

I have direct experience with SSBC....everything is included.

I have indirect expereince with Wilwood...their kit significantly increases the track width of the wheels so much so that if you are running fancy rims and meaty tires already, you willl most likely find they don't fit anymore.

SSBC comes with everything you need, except some competent directions.....i improperly torqued the wheel bearings cause their specs were wrong. Needless to say i was PISSED. Get a shop manual out and make sure to compare everything you read in the directions.

Wilwood is more of a racing setup, they are lightweight and in all honesty I don't think their hubs are as cut out for the street (pot hole abuse etc). SSBC are a solid street setup. Companies like Aerospace Components etc. are just Wilwood knockoffs. Baer is for show and go (well maybe more stop in this case) or course you have to pay to play.

As Nick pointed out you need to also investigate changes in track width if you are looking at any kit and take that into consideration. And also changes in geometry (the ol' Granada mess). Every kit in existence has been written about on one forum or the next so take the time to seek out that info too ... brakes are more important than heads, carbs, etc... many times we forget this.

Let me also add, in regards to the original question that you will find the Wilwood kit the least complete of the options.

Brakes

Anyone interested in converting to discs should consider Master Power. They have, in my opinion good stuff and the prices are good. I got a power disc swap kit for my 65 V8 coupe for less than I could have gotten a manual setup from SSBC or Wilwood. They also offer manual setups too. The directions are pretty straight-forward
Good luck, Kent

brakes

I am going to order the ss kit next week. Going with the manual kit, cost from summit racing is $849.00 for the a121 kit. if you go with ss and find out where I can get abetter deal, let me know.

GT2K said:
Wilwood is more of a racing setup, they are lightweight and in all honesty I don't think their hubs are as cut out for the street (pot hole abuse etc).

you've quoted potholes a few times today :D how is a pot hole at 65 mph more severe than jumping a curb at 100+ on a race track? Make sure you are looking at the heavy duty kits when comparing. I think the wilwood part number is 140-4304B

GT2K said:
And also changes in geometry (the ol' Granada mess).

What are you referring to? I am in the midst of gathering parts for this swap is there something I should be looking at?

68rustang said:
you've quoted potholes a few times today :D how is a pot hole at 65 mph more severe than jumping a curb at 100+ on a race track? Make sure you are looking at the heavy duty kits when comparing. I think the wilwood part number is 140-4304B
Race cars are meant to be abused, that's why you tear through 'em after every race and go through tech inspection etc. You jump the curb in a race and you're gonna check things out. You hit a hard bump on the street and you're gonna keep going until you hit another... at some point things feel loose and you check into it ;)

What are you referring to? I am in the midst of gathering parts for this swap is there something I should be looking at?

When you have a Granada spindle on hand, carefully compare the geometry of it to your stock Mustang spindle... note the differences. When you get it on the car then you may discover bumpsteer etc. IF THE GRANADA SPINDLES WERE A DIRECT SWAP YOU WOULD NOT NEED A FRONT END ALIGNMENT AFTER YOU INSTALL 'EM.

Some things to think about. For the cost of the swap you can find aftermarket kits in close proximity of price that will satisfy the need and allow you to keep your spindles (and suspension/steering geometry).

Hey GT2K.... are your pics on your site updated? Without going back and analyzing.. I thought I saw two different styles. I recall seeing Baer. I have front and rear kits on the way. I was wondering how you like yours and how the install went. Did you noticed any change in track width?

GT2K said:
IF THE GRANADA SPINDLES WERE A DIRECT SWAP YOU WOULD NOT NEED A FRONT END ALIGNMENT AFTER YOU INSTALL 'EM.

Some things to think about. For the cost of the swap you can find aftermarket kits in close proximity of price that will satisfy the need and allow you to keep your spindles (and suspension/steering geometry).

I was under the impression that you get a front end alignment whenever to dismantle and reassemble the front end of a car. WHat is the interest in keeping an existing geometry that isn't all that great to begin with? I don't know first hand (I have never driven my car) but from what I have read mustangs are prone to bumpsteer in stock form.

Of which kits do you speak?

EDIT

Nice looking website by the way.

BAD67FUN said:
Hey GT2K.... are your pics on your site updated? Without going back and analyzing.. I thought I saw two different styles. I recall seeing Baer. I have front and rear kits on the way. I was wondering how you like yours and how the install went. Did you noticed any change in track width?

THE BAER SETUP IS WORTH EVERY PENNY. I'm going to add a 2003 gallery soon, been under the car too much to work on the site. Did you follow the "Phase 2" link? That's about 1.5 years out of date but close. Basically I went from stock drums, to Granadas, to Aerospace Components, to Baer ... so I guess I have quite a bit of experience with brakes. Like they say "Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want." I'm finally done with Baers, would not change a thing in that regard.

On the other question the geometery I'm refering to is the difference in tie-rod mounting point on the Granada spindle vs. the stock steering you are connecting it to. It will introduce a whole new arc in the travel of the tie rods vs. the LCAs and you will see heightened bumpsteer ... you may luck out on your spindle selection because there are a few odd years that are far worse than the other 70%... but if you get one of the bad ones you will curse the day you signed on here and read about a Granada swap... been there, and done that ... got over a $1000 in suspension fixes to correct it :bang:

The fronts are marginal it was an 1/16" or so, maybe 1/8" tops. Baer gave me the number 2 years ago so I forget. The rears change quite a bit though. I'm thinking it was 3/4" or so....

BTW mine did not include the master cylinder or any hardline from Baer. That is only included on the '65/66 kits. And I had to buy the ebrake cables seperately a year later when they started producing them.