Window Motor crapped out

Has anyone here had experience either changing out the motor for their window or having a shop do it? I just wanted to see what it might cost. I found a few threads about slamming the door and all that but it still didn't work. How easy is it to do by yourself? Any help would be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

Place the window in the up position, wrap some cardboard around it and hold it in place at the top of the door with a pair of vise grips or clamps (don't get stupid with the force needed to hold the window up). That's 99% of the problem, now remove the door panel, etc, you may have to drill out some rivets, it's involved but very doable in your driveway. Pick up a Haynes manual and check it out if you need to. (BTW, IMO Haynes are the suckiest manuals ever written, but their plentiful and cheap).

Can you still hear your motor run or not? My buddies window dropped all of a sudden. Motor still ran. Took the door apart. Part that has the gear teeth broke off. Just had to do some custom fabing. If a shop was to do it, it would prob cost a good chunk.

Make sure when you try the "slam door" method that you are pressing the window down switch if the window is stuck in the up position or pressing the window up switch if the window is stuck in the down position. Do this while slamming the door. This is assuming the window is just stuck. You really need to give more details.

My experience with a Ford Ranger:

Window went down and wouldn't go back up but the motor ran. I purchased a new motor assembly only to find out it was a gear. New motor assembly didn't come with the gear but the parts store sold it separately. Bought one. Wasted some money there.