Window Regulator, How do I change?

Discussion in 'Classic Mustang Specific Tech' started by KFord, Dec 13, 2003.

  1. I'm totally new here. Found you because I was looking for info on changing out the Window regulators on my 65 coupe. I've read the other posts on this subject but am still lost.

    Here's the deal. At some point a door was changed on this car, because I have one side with 66 regulators and one with 65 regulators (clip on). I'm changing out the 65 to 66 ones. Why to 66, because I already had the handles bought new when I realized they were different, and there was a new regulator found in the trunk when I bought it. (Car was bought in semi-together shape and I did cowl work first before even looking at the doors).

    The first thing I did was tape the window up, in the up position. (Dad's advice). Then I took out the 4 bolts that are around the regulator. I tried poping the regulator out from there, but the arm thing has a pin that goes through it that I can't get out. I can't even see it. (series of mirrors used to find out about the pin) So I thought I'll take inside door part off and then I can see what I'm dealing with. Well about 15 bolts and screws later, IT'S ONE PIECE! (I know d'uh) Now frustrate, I came inside only to have Dad say "well of course it is". So I'm here looking for advice.

    Anyway I need to know how to get the regulator out and pop in a new one. So if anyones knows how I'd appreciate your advice. And if you could dumb the answer down a little I'd apprecaite that too. What I know I know very well, and what I don't, I know nothing of. So an explination of what the parts might look like or how to get it out would be of big help.

    Thanks for your time.
    Here's a pic of the car when I got it a year or so ago.