window tinting question

jaackal

May 12, 2003
NJ
i want to get all my windows tinted besides for the front windshield. problem is how is it done even though the windows automaticly drop down and go up because your not supposed to open the windows for like a week. theres no way to disable that? and if there is, would the door still close properly because of how the window seals?

• Sponsors (?)

They will put the tint on with the doors open so have them leave the doors open for a while before you pick it up. I left my car at the tint shop for a few hours they had the doors open and I never had any problems with the tint moving. If you are that worried about it, you could disconnect your battery for 10 minutes or so, that should require you to reprogram the windows (the procedure is in the owners manual pg. 46 on my 2006). Put up some pictures when you get the tint done. :nice:

its not a problem, just precautionary. the little bit that it moves makes no difference. i accidentally rolled mine down going through a security gate the day after and nothing happened. that being said, dont go windows down on the way home from the shop either

A screwdriver properly placed in the door latch will allow the door glass to bounce up... as in the closed door position.

Your tint shop should do the door glass first and proceed on with the rest of the tint job. When they are done and remove the screwdriver the slight movement of the door glass with the bounce back will not create a problem getting in and out of the vehicle over the next several days.

Don't sweat it. It wasn't a problem on my 05. I was a little worried with the 07 vert because the only way to do the the small side windows is put the top down. That means the must go down to put the top back up, but we had not problems. A good tint shop should use a heat along the bottom and you'll have nothing to worry about.
The biggest issue is the tint scratching. Make sure you get felt for your window seals. Here's where I got mine http://www.automoleskin.com/ford.htm