Window was working, then it wasn't

mostsmooth

Nov 12, 2002
Hi all
95 gt
Driver and passenger windows seemed to be working ok, but if in going I be totally fair, I think the passenger side struggles just a little bit once in a while going up.
So today I was at a stop, I use the one touch down in the driver side right when I was starting to move. I started hearing a noise like something was in my tire as it was rotating wap wap wap wap.i had been working in the brakes the day before, so that's why I immediately thought it was tire related. The noise stopped after about 5 seconds and I noticed that the window wasn't all the way down.

The window motor seems to be working and it kinda goes down. But it will only go up a little bit. I closed it manually.

Did this sound like it may just be of the track, or are there things in there that have broken?

How hard is it to get the door panel apart so I can see what's going on in there?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

There are nylon bushings inside the motor that eventually break apart due to age. The motor is relatively easy to remove and disassemble, and the bushings are cheap to replace. It's an overall Ford window motor issue, not just a Mustang issue. Do a Google search for "ford window motor bushings" and that should get you started.

Reactions: 1 user
the plastic splash guard sheet or whatever it is inside the door after you take the panel off, i have to just peel that off and throw it away, right? its not reuseable it appears?

You should be able to get it out without drilling any rivets. The motor is held on to the window track by three bolts. Check out this video for tips:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq1N7RqW4c4

The cap over the bushings might just come free after unscrewing a bolt or two, or it might be crimped on like mine was. If it's crimped on, some vice grips will tweak the over enough to remove it,. You can put the cover back on with the same vice grips, and maybe a light tap from a hammer.

You should be able to get it out without drilling any rivets. The motor is held on to the window track by three bolts. Check out this video for tips:

The cap over the bushings might just come free after unscrewing a bolt or two, or it might be crimped on like mine was. If it's crimped on, some vice grips will tweak the over enough to remove it,. You can put the cover back on with the same vice grips, and maybe a light tap from a hammer.

thanks,
turns out i saw some other video earlier today and got the job all done. window works fine now.
i pulled the motor out through the speaker hole.
on the removal, i tested it out outside of the door, and the gear was turning fine and i checked it with my hand and it was really hard to move, so i wa thinking, man i hope it really is the motor, because i dont want to mess around with anything else in this door.
i was considering not even doing anything with the motor and look for some other cause of the problem, but i said what the hell, let me crack this open and see whats doing.
my was crimped as well.
as i was opening it, all the little pieces of broken plastic or whatever it is started falling out and I was happy because then I knew it was the bushings and not some other mystery thing i would have to chase down.
i had some nuts laying around, but decided to get some ball bearings from home depot. they didn't have the size I needed, so I went with some 1/4 - 20 nuts. 6 of them. 2 in each corner. they fit perfectly. virtually no play.

i put some grease in where the driven gear sits, hopefully, that wasn't a stupid idea.

my passenger side window will probably break any day now, but now that I have done it once, i could probably whack this out in an hour or so next time.

thanks nick and chythar for the input

lol, oops, that is the same video i found