Window Wont go Up correctly after Regulator install.

Cory4400

Oct 6, 2019
Indiana
Hello all. New to the forums. hoping you can figure this issue out it's something that I've been trying to actually finally fix for a few weeks.

6 years ago I had a window regulator break in a friend of mine said that he could fix it and got the part and put it in, but since then the driver side window isn't on correctly and I can't seem to figure out what's wrong or how to re secure it.

when the window is all the way up and the car is in motion you can hear it sort of rattling as if the Glass is moving. As well as when you roll the window down and it gets about 80% of the way it starts catching and starts making a strange noise in the motor. the only way to get it up after this is to pull on the back of the window as you're trying to roll it up.

View: https://youtu.be/y7Uw9XHs2Wk

I've made a video showing exactly what happens.

the beginning of the video is hard to see but I also noticed that now the back of the window is completely scratched up as well as a deep groove in the front.

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah, sounds like a bad regulator, but if it is scratching the window up it would seem that it got out of the track. I would suggest taking the door card off so you can get into the door and see what it looks like. You can take some more pics and post them here so others can help out.

The drives side window on my fox body recently started not going up and down. I haven't gotten into it yet but I was told the "pucks" went out. The motor is fine its just the drive mechanism. Sounds like you have a similar issue combined with the tracking issue.

Get into the door and let us know what you find!

Sorry. I wasn't able to watch the vid at the time I made the comment. It doesn't come apart any more than that. Still think its a regulator issue. Is the window loose/rock back and forth or anything? Your saying that you have to help it up after about 80%. Something is striped. And you say that it sounds like it is rattling. I'd reach in the door and feel around. you should be able to get to most of the guide. That way you can feel if the window isn't in the guide. The motor isn't hard to get out if its like the older cars. You can also try to get your phone in the door to take a pic of the mechanism to see if anything looks wrong.

I've felt around and nothing feels or looks out of place from what I can see but it's definitely not smooth rolling down the way it is on the passenger side.it appears to be 'loose" in the front end of that makes sense, closest to the mirror.

The window has some "give." But not a ton. It appears to be in the bracket securely because if I pull on the window, I can see the entire bracket it's on come up as well if that makes sense.

Once the window is down about 80 percent it won't go back up unless I pull up on the window while I hit the up button and then the sound in the video happens. I can also go into the door and push on the back of the bracket that the window is on and that will give it enough force to help it up

I guess it's possible the regulator i got was faulty outta the box?

But I'm also wondering if there's a rivet or something missing from the front part as that seems to be where it's not fitting snug.

I'm gonna mess around with a bit more and see if I can find anything outta place.

Update/I'm an idiot.

One thing I forgot to mention is when you close the door you can hear the glass rattle. Which is 100 percent not the case with the other door.

I noticed all of the scratches are on the inside of the glass so I put a bit of force on the window from the inside and pushed against the glass and rolled it down and I might be crazy but it sounds like it's going down a bit smoother.

So it's almost like the glass is too close to the inside of the door.