Windshield Molding Rubber Seal

mrobins26

Jan 23, 2017
Texas
I've seen a ton of discussions on removing metal windshield molding, painting windshield molding trim, windshield molding clips etc...

Does anybody know where to get the rubber seal that slides into the metal molding trim pieces?

I have seen the rubber seal replacement for 'vert, but not hardtop.

Maybe a better question is what those pieces are for? Do they just prevent some potential rattles since the windshield is sealed?

• Sponsors (?)

I'm right in the middle of that myself. That is just meant as an anti-rattle device. I have to come up with something too. If you can wait a week, i'll have an answer for you.

Reactions: 1 users
I had my 89 gt windshield replaced a couple years ago and I pull all the windshield trim myself, didn't see any rubber seal for the trim. What year stang?

1989 LX 5.0. The rubber trim across the top windshield molding had turned to dust... same with the molding on the hatch back. I was trying to figure out where all this crumbly pieces came from and down the side there was one piece still complete. I'll try to post a picture of it.

I'm right in the middle of that myself. That is just meant as an anti-rattle device. I have to come up with something too. If you can wait a week, i'll have an answer for you.

Thanks. Agree, it doesn't look like it seals much. Very thin, very fragile and maybe only to prevent rattles and the dirt from collecting between the glass edge and windshield on top of the "black junk" that actually seals the window.

Reactions: 1 users
I used Edge Trim.. in black, the stuff you'd normally buy for the door's edge.. bought a roll of 15' at the local parts store. It worked great, and took 15 minutes to install.

20160924_171758_zpsnofryxiv.jpg

20160924_172003_zpsbjhxwqab.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Howdy Davedacarpainter. I took pictures today. The bottom one is the windshield molding side piece with the elusive rubber seal half removed from the windshield molding metal piece, the second one is after I slid it out laying next to the original molding piece, and the top photo is an attempt to capture the profile on the end.
IMG_0195.JPG
IMG_0194.JPG
IMG_0193.JPG

Howdy Davedacarpainter. I took pictures today. The bottom one is the windshield molding side piece with the elusive rubber seal half removed from the windshield molding metal piece, the second one is after I slid it out laying next to the original molding piece, and the top photo is an attempt to capture the profile on the end.
IMG_0195.JPG
IMG_0194.JPG
IMG_0193.JPG
Yeah, that's what a was referring to. I had one long piece that I took out without much problem, but the rest came out in pieces. If you come up with a solution before I post mine, let me know. I intend to put new stuff (whatever it will be) on all of mine before reinstalling on my car

Yeah, that's what a was referring to. I had one long piece that I took out without much problem, but the rest came out in pieces. If you come up with a solution before I post mine, let me know. I intend to put new stuff (whatever it will be) on all of mine before reinstalling on my car

Hi Dave... Before I came here I tried LMR, CJponyparts, autozone, oriellys, americanmuscle, foxresto, rockauto, dallas mustang... tried manufacturer direct with Fairchild, and a few other places... went to Safelite auto glass today and they came back with "nobody makes this anymore".

At least we tried and I captured a picture of the elusive piece of trim molding seal that everyone thinks is non-existent.

Fairchild and a couple of other places will do custom profiles.. not sure it is worth the hassle. Let me know if you go this route and maybe we can combine orders if it helps bring down the cost.