windshield washer working backwards

pudman

May 31, 2008
tujunga,ca
on my 86 gt vert when I pull the lever to wash the windshield the wipers go 2 full revolutions before the water sprays. As I can remember it's been this way since day one. Does everyone elses do the same? Is there a way to make the water spray first?

• Sponsors (?)

There really is no sequence that can be off. The switch applies voltage to both the washer pump (a straight shot) and to the wipers via the interval governor at the same time. It sounds like it's taking too long to build up washer fluid pressure.

Somewhere in line between the washer switch and the washer motor there should be a small test connector. It will probably be gray and should have two BK/W wires attached to it. If your setup is like the later models the connector will be in the mess of wires below the washer reservoir. Stick one end of a wire into the connector and touch the other end to the positive (+) battery terminal. This will apply power to the washer pump and you should be able to see if there is any delay between application of power and washer fluid spray.

on my 86 gt vert when I pull the lever to wash the windshield the wipers go 2 full revolutions before the water sprays. As I can remember it's been this way since day one. Does everyone elses do the same? Is there a way to make the water spray first?

The lag time must be how long it takes to fill the tubes to the spray nozzles. I bet there is a check valve leaking or a leak in the line some place. Try this....
After the first squirt, wait a couple seconds and hit it again. It the sequence time the same or shorter.

The lag time must be how long it takes to fill the tubes to the spray nozzles. I bet there is a check valve leaking or a leak in the line some place. Try this....
After the first squirt, wait a couple seconds and hit it again. It the sequence time the same or shorter.
I tried this, and the longer I waited between pulling the lever... the longer it took the water to come out. Next question being....is there a checkvalve in the line or just old leaking lines?

Came to say the lines aren't holding prime. The hoses will spray immediately if they stay full of fluid, they're draining backwards between usage either due to a leak in the hose or a weak seal in the pump.