Windshield wiper motor mounting

Blue85

Dec 25, 2020
Florida
Ok my chassis is a 1985. Recently I purchased a replacement cowl since the hood blew open and crushed the old one. But now I am reassembling the car and my windshield wiper motor don’t fit. I am assuming the replacement cowl is 87 or newer. Anybody know where I can get the plate that the motor mounts too?

• Sponsors (?)

The hood was really my fault. I had the hood struts installed and thought it was cool that when I pulled the hood latch it would open all the way by itself. Sooo therefore I didn’t install the secondary safety latch. Got on it hard one good time rolling about 20 and poof there it went. Guess the car flexed enough or something.

been there done that 4 years ago

1612830856975.jpeg

1612831015585.jpeg

1612830944878.jpeg

1612831117217.jpeg

Attachments

• 1612830747428.jpeg
    1612830747428.jpeg
    557.4 KB · Views: 53
  • 1612830744831.jpeg
    1612830744831.jpeg
    557.4 KB · Views: 48
Ever since they started making hoods that open from the front
Ha, But if Ford didnt get the hoods tight enough from the factory I feel we would have seen some sort of recall or something?

yup. Happens quite often with aftermarket hoods. Lots of crushed cowls.

aftermarket really needs to make a reproduction cowl. They will sell a lot
So just aftermarket then? Or do I need to start worrying about my stock hood flying up?

Way back in the early nineties my brother had an 84 GT that the hood flew open on me while I was flying down the freeway. There didn't seem to be anything wrong with the latch or anything, so we weren't sure what the problem was. I bought him a used hood, he had it painted, and he was on his way. I later heard of a lot of other people with Fox Mustangs who had the same problem. I'm not sure what the problem is, but I would recommend making sure your secondary latch is in good shape and definitely catches your hood every time. I can attest to how bad it sucks trying to peer through the sliver of space you can see under the hood while driving at a high speed - it's not fun.

Hood bumpers are also important. They keep the hood from wobbling at speed. The actual latch only holds a small amount of the catch. The hood hinges have a lot of side to side play. Leads to a bad recipe.

So just aftermarket then? Or do I need to start worrying about my stock hood flying up?

Vast majority of hood-fly-ups that I've seen on the forums, or FB have been with an aftermarket hood. I'd say 99% or so. I actually do not recall seeing anyone with an OEM hood and OEM hood latch and safety catch in place ever comment on their hood flying up. I'm sure it has happened, which is why I left 1% our of my tally, but I don't recall seeing it much.

Anytime i close my hood, i grab it with both hands and lift the car up with all my might. It's a habit at this point, even when I walk around the car to check the hood. My hood setup is all stock though, and avoiding a fly-up is one reason why i've never changed it.

Reactions: 1 user
Vast majority of hood-fly-ups that I've seen on the forums, or FB have been with an aftermarket hood. I'd say 99% or so. I actually do not recall seeing anyone with an OEM hood and OEM hood latch and safety catch in place ever comment on their hood flying up. I'm sure it has happened, which is why I left 1% our of my tally, but I don't recall seeing it much.

Anytime i close my hood, i grab it with both hands and lift the car up with all my might. It's a habit at this point, even when I walk around the car to check the hood. My hood setup is all stock though, and avoiding a fly-up is one reason why i've never changed it.

My brother's 84 would fit that 1% - his car was bone stock. That car might have been hexed or something too though. The hatch window shattered on him while he was driving on a highway one day, too. :shrug: He ended up getting rid of it soon after.