Windshield Wipers Wont Stop When Motor Plugged Up

92GreenGT

PEAT
Founding Member
Jul 18, 2002
Big Stone Gap, VA
Hey guys, this happened awhile back. I try to stay out of the rain as much as possible with my car, since I have a truck to drive in bad weather. When I do get out and its raining I just pull over and plug the wiper motor up. But now its comming up for a new inspection sticker and you must have working wipers. So I need to fix this problem anyways, when I plug the motor up they will come on full blast and not stop even with the switch on the "off" position. What do you think could be cuasing this problem, wiper motor or something else? Anyone ever had a similar problem? Thanks

Dave

• Sponsors (?)

Dave check your multi funtion switch (The directional and wiper control arm) in the car,

Ask a friend if you can just borrow theres to see if your problem goes away,
Or hunt a junk yard for one,
There not hard to find obviously and there cheap,

Id start with that as thats the main control for it all :)

J

it's probably the wiper module under the steering column.turn your wipers on and just unplug the box(some are brown,some are black).if the wipers stop then more than likely that's your problem.it's are ford only part and they usually run around a $80.

ratrapp said:
it's probably the wiper module under the steering column.turn your wipers on and just unplug the box(some are brown,some are black).if the wipers stop then more than likely that's your problem.it's are ford only part and they usually run around a $80.
Ok, so plug the motor up and turn the switch on. While they are running unplug the box under the steering column. And if it stops, its the box, right? What if it doesnt stop?

Dave

92GreenGT said:
Ok, so plug the motor up and turn the switch on. While they are running unplug the box under the steering column. And if it stops, its the box, right? What if it doesnt stop?

Dave
Dave - man, you cant get rid of me, huh. (i respond to every thread of yours).

i would find the box first, unplug it, then hook up the motor. if the wipes dont come on, you found the right box. that way, you wont have wipers goin across a dry windshield longer than necessary......i think this way would be a quicker means of testing.....same principle though.
good luck.

HISSIN50 said:
Dave - man, you cant get rid of me, huh. (i respond to every thread of yours).

i would find the box first, unplug it, then hook up the motor. if the wipes dont come on, you found the right box. that way, you wont have wipers goin across a dry windshield longer than necessary......i think this way would be a quicker means of testing.....same principle though.
good luck.
Hey, I need smart people like you to help a young kid out. Better to learn from someone with experience compared to someone without it, right?:nice:

So basically I plug up the motor, then unplug the wiper box under the steering column. So, if they stop that means the box is bad or what? Confused like hell, haha. Thanks for your help and patience.

Dave

92GreenGT said:
Hey, I need smart people like you to help a young kid out.

Dave
you are very mistaken - im not smart. :)

ok, with what you said: you would hook up the motor, then run around to the interior to unplug the control module. that is a lot of time with your wipers rubbing the poop out of your dry windshield.

i would: find the control module. unplug it. go hook up the motor the way you normally do now. if wipers do not come on, you found the correct module (since it does not work now). plug the control module back in, see wipers work, unplug it real quick.
this way, there is very little time your wipers are scratching your windshield.

it is all the same end point - just different means of doing it, to minimize the time the wipers scratch a dry windscreen.
cool?

HISSIN50 said:
you are very mistaken - im not smart. :)

ok, with what you said: you would hook up the motor, then run around to the interior to unplug the control module. that is a lot of time with your wipers rubbing the poop out of your dry windshield.

i would: find the control module. unplug it. go hook up the motor the way you normally do now. if wipers do not come on, you found the correct module (since it does not work now). plug the control module back in, see wipers work, unplug it real quick.
this way, there is very little time your wipers are scratching your windshield.

it is all the same end point - just different means of doing it, to minimize the time the wipers scratch a dry windscreen.
cool?
Cant I just put some windsheild washer fluid on the window for lubrication? To help prevent this? But your still not telling me about the module. If the wipers stop when the module is unplugged does that mean I need a new module or does it mean its still good? Im starting to understand what your saying, so keep telling me and I will soon understand.:lol:

Dave

92GreenGT said:
Cant I just put some windsheild washer fluid on the window for lubrication? To help prevent this? But your still not telling me about the module. If the wipers stop when the module is unplugged does that mean I need a new module or does it mean its still good? Im starting to understand what your saying, so keep telling me and I will soon understand.:lol:

Dave
Dave, you could put something on the windshield (washer fluid), that should be fine. i would wash the windshield first for good measure.

when you unplug the module (before you hook up the wiper motor), and then you do actually plug in the motor wiring, the motor should not work.

then you hook up the module for a split second and confirm that it works or does not.

im confused now, but i think that should work.

you guys are overcomplicating things.i did remember that it's proper name is a wiper interval govenor.the govenor controls the speed and delay of the motor.in order for the motor to run it must have currrent and ground.it has to get current from the box to run.when it goes bad it will cause all kinds of weird and different problems ranging from only one speed to not parking the wipers properlyand the settings on the switch not matching the wiper stalk setting.trust me on this one as i've seen many wiperswitches replaced because of a faulty wiper govenor.

92GreenGT said:
Hey guys, this happened awhile back. I try to stay out of the rain as much as possible with my car, since I have a truck to drive in bad weather. When I do get out and its raining I just pull over and plug the wiper motor up. But now its comming up for a new inspection sticker and you must have working wipers. So I need to fix this problem anyways, when I plug the motor up they will come on full blast and not stop even with the switch on the "off" position. What do you think could be cuasing this problem, wiper motor or something else? Anyone ever had a similar problem? Thanks

Dave
that is cause it is a ford :bang: ..................tough luck man buy a honda :hail2: .........

i did not think it was an involved process. i just changed the order of components that were gonna be disconnected and connected.

Rick, nice idea, but why do it easy when you can..........
:)

Ok, im going to try it tomorrow. Still not sure im 100% on this, but I will report back with results then you can tell me about the situation.:lol:

BTW, did anyone notice we have trader ratings now?:nice:

No more Dave getting screwed on a $325 Intake.:nonono:

Dave

Has anyone considered that the wipers have a wire direct from the fuse that is always hot? How do you think that the wipers move to the park position when you turn them off?. Take the wiper gearbox apart, and you will find the wiring for the park circuit. There is a "C" shaped copper strip on the face of the big wiper gear. It has 2 copper contacts that ride on it. One contact is in constant contact, and one in contact for only part of the travel. If the "C" shaped copper strip comes loose from the gear, the wipers will remain powered up even when you turn the switch off.

J.R., not only did i not consider it, i did not know it.
for my part: all i did was comment on the order of connecting and disconnecting i would do, were i Dave.....i leave the techie stuff up to you smart folks.

BTW, that is some nice, obscure info you got there. :)

Yeah, he seems to know a lot of cool info. Like codes and this stuff.:nice: Thanks, jrichker. I will def try that tomorrow evening if its not raining. Thanks

I remember this problem comming up when I was wiring my tach up. Like a wire just became "hot" and is getting constant power.

Dave

Where did you pull the power and grounds for your tach from, to you tap or bug off any wires?

If you did it may be your issue...

Awesome info Jrichker, I always wanted to take one apart to see how it works...thanks for the insight.