Wingless GT pics

• Sponsors (?)

I agree with this guy:

rhumb said:
This raises the level of the design a couple of notches without that "performance" wing, like it actually enhances rather than hinders actual performance. Makes the Mustang look more like a thinking man's performance car rather than some teenager's study hall sketch.

The new Mustang simply doesn't need such cheap claptrap like the glue 'n stick wing as the form itself is quite beautiful. That wing is like putting false eyelashes on Julia Roberts face, it inevitable only distracts and detracts from what's underneath and cheapens to overall effect.

J Mays is trying to raise Ford design beyond resort to such cliched add-ons, and mostly succeding, but I guess some plaid suit in marketing, citing some vacuous focus group, fell back to the old habits of check-box design that said ANY performance car simply MUST have some gawky, J.C. Whitney-looking wing tacked to its ass for some mullet heads to loudly proclaim to the multitudes that "Yeah, look at me and my bad azz ride. See that big wing, I just says that I must be fast."

Yeahhhhh rrrright.

Ron Jeremy said:
I think that it looks good with as well as without the wing.

I prefer to have the wing though. It looks less like a regular sportsroof Mustang and more like a retro Mustang with the wing. The rear end of the 2005 resembles the 69-70 Mustang. And the rear ends of the 69-70 Mustangs looked much nicer with the rear spoiler wing on them. That's just my opinion though.

Ok, this is the second time I've seen you say the 2005 looks like the 69-70, and I'm totally not seeing it, so can you explain why you think it looks like the 69-70? Most of what I see is similarities to the 65-66 fastback.

how could anyone refer to that wing as a "gawky, J.C. Whitney-looking wing." Its not like they used a Lancer Evo wing...

It doesnt NEED a wing to speak "power," but I think it looks nice either way, and to each his own.

Iwvustang said:
how could anyone refer to that wing as a "gawky, J.C. Whitney-looking wing." Its not like they used a Lancer Evo wing...

Because it looks like a tacked-on afterthought. It's just not very well integrated with the rest of the car.

I think the EVO wing is tacky but at least it's functional.

Look at the rear end of the 2005 Mustang. Stand in the back of the car and look directly at the rear tail lights and at the rear facia of the car. The rear facia and tail lights on the 2005 look exactly like the 60 and 70 Mustang.

What you are referring to that looks like a 66 fastback is the side view of the 2005 Mustang. Especially with the triangular window which is the same styling like the 65 and 66 Mustang Fastback. But the rear facia looks like the 69 and 70 Mustang fastback.